Author Topic: Photo Mechanic for IOS  (Read 12388 times)

Offline melias99

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic for IOS
« on: November 07, 2016, 05:37:28 PM »
C'mon, guys! It's time! I am soooo tired of dragging around my laptop and would rather carry an iPad Pro with PM for IOS. Especially since it looks like Picture Pro is not supporting their product anymore.

Whadya say?!!!

Mark

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Photo Mechanic for IOS
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 07:59:31 AM »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the request. It's something we're keeping an eye on, but an iOS version is not yet in the pipeline.   Just curious: For a typical shoot, how many photos would you have in a contact sheet on a tablet?  Would your main use be culling on the tablet?

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 01:12:35 PM »
I would also love to be able to use Photo Mechanic on an iPad, or even an iPhone. It would be great to have some form of live ingest and the ability to quickly select some images, apply the IPTC data and FTP them out. Of course, the ability to also tweak the levels would be an added bonus - as it would in Photo Mechanic generally. ;-)

As to how many images on an average shoot, maybe 500 to 1,000. Presumably the contact sheet would scroll as normal.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Howard Smith

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 10:03:35 PM »
I would love to see PM on IOS also. I would love to be able to shoot tethered to my iPad with the ability to upload whenever I have a moment. I often shoot 3-4K images in a day.

Offline melias99

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 06:06:48 AM »
Sorry for the long delay in responding.

I would typically see no more than 20 images on the screen before having to scroll up or down.

I would use PhotoMechanic for IOS to ingest, caption, and transmit to my company's FTP server so an editor there could take the photos directly and place them on the webpage, especially in a breaking situation like a news story or an auto show.  Would be nice to have an actual crop function (Not just the suggested crop box as seen currently) and maybe some toning functions!  (ie: Shadow/Highlight, Exposure, etc.)

Offline ELinder

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Erich Linder Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 03:35:07 PM »
It would be awesome if Apple allows access to the memory cards thru the Camera Connection Kit plugs without having to first go thru the iOS Photos app and injest. Being able to do it with an iOS version of Photo Mechanic would be a huge step forward in being able to use iPads in our workflow.

Erich

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 06:43:19 PM »
Erich,

It would be awesome if Apple allows access to the memory cards thru the Camera Connection Kit plugs without having to first go thru the iOS Photos app and injest. Being able to do it with an iOS version of Photo Mechanic would be a huge step forward in being able to use iPads in our workflow.

We asked Apple about that possibility years ago and they responded that they had no plans to allow direct access to the card.  Without direct access, Ingest is pointless as is much of Photo Mechanic on iOS.  Having to choose files each time would be extremely cumbersome.

-Kirk

Offline ELinder

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Erich Linder Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 06:50:10 PM »
Well, that's disappointing although not unexpected. Apple's ridiculously strict about what they allow access to.

Erich

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 06:58:05 AM »
Erich,

We asked Apple about that possibility years ago and they responded that they had no plans to allow direct access to the card.  Without direct access, Ingest is pointless as is much of Photo Mechanic on iOS.  Having to choose files each time would be extremely cumbersome.

-Kirk

Ingest is important, but far from being the most important feature PM has to offer in photo processing. The guys at PicturePro made a quite good job trying to reproduce PM for the iPad. I am sad to hear they discontinue it. Actually I was hoping they will add iPhone support too especially now the SD/USB to Lightning adapters are finally supported by Apple on the iPhones.

I see more and more people using their mobiles/tablets for sending deadline photos and many of them keep looking for a good app for selecting, captioning, sending. They all fight the obstacles of getting the photos on the device somehow (EyeFi, other WiFi transfer, cable download, etc). But the rest of the image processing is still a task in need for a good tool... 
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Rick Baumhauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 05:11:45 PM »
PM really doesn't need to get images directly from the card in order to be useful. You should be able to pull images in from the Camera Roll on the device and resave them in your app sandbox. I would think you'd be able to rename, apply metadata, etc. there. After that, the trick is getting the images from the device to the desktop OS - with iOS 11, it could be as simple as a folder in iCloud.

There is a very ripe market for an app that can do something like PM on iOS, and Adobe can't stop shooting themselves in the foot trying to figure out what Lightroom Mobile is for. Just when a bunch of pros settled on LR Mobile for doing fast triaging and rating of photos, Adobe ruined the app interface and took away the fast rating feature (supposedly temporarily, but it's been a month of constant anger from effected pros with no response yet).

While new photo processing apps have been coming on the scene with startling regularity lately (Luminar, On1 Photo RAW, Topaz Studio), the thing that will really put someone over the top is getting a useful subset of features on iOS for a reasonable price. I'm not averse to subscription for the right capabilities - Adobe's problem is they're using Mobile as part of the subscription carrot, believing that the Desktop apps are the main attraction, much like newspapers gave away web content/ads believing that print was their "real" product. You don't want to emulate the newspaper industry.

The first player that comes up with a mobile product that integrates seamlessly with the desktop (while not necessarily having every feature, especially at initial release - just the removal of particular pain points) and provides a better way of taking the drudgery out of some of the process will get a lot of business. I think that PM, by its nature, is the obvious product for this role, since you've never been about photo processing - before Lightroom Mobile came along, I did all my flagging in PM before importing to Lightroom (I even set up the shortcut buttons on my Wacom tablet to flag/unflag in PM). I still do my import and metadata editing in PM now, but would really like to move that whole process to the iPad Pro so I can do it anytime/anywhere without carrying a laptop.

Somebody is going to make this product - there's a market there for the taking, and a growing chorus of people who give Adobe a few bucks a month (at least) but aren't particularly happy with them. With all of the other DAMs coming (including yours?), PM has the opportunity to be the universal front end that feeds imported photos and metadata to a whole range of cataloging and processing apps, both on desktop and mobile.

Offline Wendyl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 10:29:45 PM »
.Raw Power is an app that can import from SD card or from iOS photos app, then export back to files.  I don’t see why Photo Mechanic could not do the same.

Offline jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 01:48:19 PM »
The current versions of iOS seem to be able to access an external drive on the iPad Pro, but the main use would be to keyword images, which iOS doesn't really help you with, relying on Machine Learning to recognise pictures.

Within a decade keywording may not be necessary, particularly for sports, where there are a finite number of players.

But even better would be an M1 MacOS version of PM.  The Rosetta version is suboptimal in terms of performance and power /memory consumption.  There was a suggestion at one point that you could run iOS versions of apps under MacOS.  Not sure that that would be appropriate for PM as the difference between a touch screen-based app and a keyboard-based one is significant.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2022, 01:52:40 PM »
I know some people using ShutterSnitch. I didn't try it.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com