Author Topic: GPS - browser not supported  (Read 6360 times)

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
GPS - browser not supported
« on: November 14, 2016, 07:34:55 AM »
Win10 64 bit, PM V5 Build 17719

I have a problem that is a bit irritating - when I do Image\Set GPS coordinates, I get a message "You are using a browser that is not supported by the Google Maps JavaScript API. Consider changing your browser". It is an irritating only because everything works as it should.

When I click on "Learn more", IE 11 is the browser that opens.  There are two problems with that: 1. IE 1 seems to support the API; 2. My default browser is Firefox.

I have looked at Windows Default Apps as well as the other Choose Default settings and cannot see why IE is being used not do I understand why the warning is occuring.

Any suggestions?

Jerry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: GPS - browser not supported
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 08:00:37 AM »
Jerry,

Win10 64 bit, PM V5 Build 17719

I have a problem that is a bit irritating - when I do Image\Set GPS coordinates, I get a message "You are using a browser that is not supported by the Google Maps JavaScript API. Consider changing your browser". It is an irritating only because everything works as it should.

When I click on "Learn more", IE 11 is the browser that opens.  There are two problems with that: 1. IE 1 seems to support the API; 2. My default browser is Firefox.

I have looked at Windows Default Apps as well as the other Choose Default settings and cannot see why IE is being used not do I understand why the warning is occuring.

PM uses an embedded Internet Explorer browser to provide the maps.  PM forces IE 9 emulation via a registry key.  We chose IE 9 because at the time it was the most advanced version of the IE browser that was expected to be present on Windows Vista and higher.  This change on Google's part must be fairly recent.  Can you post a screen shot of the message that appears?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 10:09:35 AM »
Attached is a workaround that you can apply.  If you download it and double-click on it, the Windows Registry Editor will import it for you.  The contents of the file are:

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION]
"Photo Mechanic.exe"=dword:00002af8

The above forces IE11 to be used instead of IE 9.
Note to other users: Windows Vista does not support Internet Explorer versions higher than IE9, so if you're running Windows Vista, do not apply the workaround.

-Kirk

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 01:34:01 PM »
Kirk,

First, the fix works.

Second, to answer when did it start happening - it is a little difficult to pin down but it may the Windows Anniversay Update (WAU) that caused it. PM was working fine on my desktop with 32 bit Win 10 and started happeing after I did a fresh install to move to the 64 bit version which also cause the WAU to be installed.  I had updated my laptop to WAU some time ago and when I checked, it has the same problem.  If it is the Google API, I have no clue as to how to check that.

Last, below is a screen shot of the message.

Thanks for the help.

Jerry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 01:35:54 PM »
Jerry,

First, the fix works.

Thanks for trying it out.  It worked for us as well.

Second, to answer when did it start happening - it is a little difficult to pin down but it may the Windows Anniversay Update (WAU) that caused it. PM was working fine on my desktop with 32 bit Win 10 and started happeing after I did a fresh install to move to the 64 bit version which also cause the WAU to be installed.  I had updated my laptop to WAU some time ago and when I checked, it has the same problem.  If it is the Google API, I have no clue as to how to check that.

It's a change on Google's end unfortunately.

-Kirk