Author Topic: Canon 5D MkIV and PM 5 ICC Profiles  (Read 6351 times)

Offline JDeCamp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Canon 5D MkIV and PM 5 ICC Profiles
« on: October 27, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »
I am having an issue with the new Canon 5D MkIV and PM 5.  I have the camera set to record all images in the Adobe RGB color space (yup - double checked, ran a bunch of tests in different settings), but PM shows all of the images as sRGB.  Not sure if this is a bug with PM or the MkIV.  Is there any way to check the color space in another program?  I can import into LR 6.7 without issue (w/ Camera Raw 9.7), but cant find anyplace that shows me the color space for the images.  I cant import them directly into Photoshop cause Im stuck in PS CS6 v 13.0.6 x64 (Im not doing the CC thingy) and that Camera Raw version doesn't support the MkIV.  Any other way to check the color profile to see if its the camera or PM??  Tx

Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 17719 (c8049ca)
Mac OSX 10.11.6 (15G1108)
Mac Pro (Early 2009)
2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Canon 5D MkIV and PM 5 ICC Profiles
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 10:44:57 PM »
If I read you correctly, you shoot raw? In that case PM show you the colour space of the embedded jpg. That could very well be sRGB (a bit surprising, but still), even if you shoot jpgs in aRGB. Raw files themselves don't really have a colour profile (ok, that of the camera itself), the data gets interpreted by your raw converter which then converts it to a colour space (Lightroom and ACR use Pro Photo RGB for this), upon saving to a non-raw format you then can choose the final target colour space (e.g. Adobe RGB).

Take a jpg shot and check the colour profile of that. If that's also sRGB, I'd like to see the file to see what is wrong.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 01:19:27 PM »
Hayo is correct: the preview JPEG stored inside the RAW CR2 file is in sRGB color space, not AdobeRGB, regardless of the fact that you have the camera set to record AdobeRGB.  If you shoot a JPEG in the camera and look at that in PM then you should see that PM correctly identifies the color space as AdobeRGB (because THAT JPEG is indeed stored in AdobeRGB color space).  If PM were to color manage the preview JPEG in the CR2 file as AdobeRGB then it would look really bad.  You shouldn't see much if any difference between what PM shows for the CR2 preview versus what Adobe CC shows when the two images are compared side-by-side.  If you shoot RAW+JPEG then flip between the two in PM they should look the same even though the {icc} for the JPEG says AdobeRGB and sRGB for the CR2.

Other than thumbnails and a preview (which are ignored by a RAW converter), RAW image data are just raw sensor data and no color space is attached to the sensor data.  There is a tag in the Exif metadata that instructs the RAW converter to render the image in AdobeRGB and then your rendered image is in that color space.

Since PM is not rendering your RAW file and relies on the preview only, and Canon (along with other manufacturers) generally uses sRGB for the color space of the embedded preview, PM's {icc} variable will show the color space of the image being shown which is the preview for RAW files.

HTH.

--dennis

Offline k_tsakalidis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 05:23:56 AM »
So why this it occurs only with the new 5D MkIV? Has anything changed by Canon during file recording?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 06:18:31 AM by k_tsakalidis »

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 10:04:59 AM »
So why this it occurs only with the new 5D MkIV? Has anything changed by Canon during file recording?

Canon has been writing preview JPEGs in RAW files in sRGB color space for years now.  It isn't new to the 5D MkIV.

Remember, the color space of the JPEG preview has NOTHING to do with what color space you choose to render the RAW into.  You could even tell the camera to shoot in sRGB (which it will apply to its JPEGs) and then turn around and render the RAW in AdobeRGB.

--dennis