Author Topic: How to Structure File Locations.  (Read 5024 times)

Offline Kenton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How to Structure File Locations.
« on: November 17, 2016, 12:15:10 PM »
I'm trying to set up PM so that it works consistent with how I have processed my images pre-PM!  I have not purchased the program yet, but I will because I do like what it does. 

I would like to get it to ingest my photos in a year's folder (2016), by date in the format Year-Month-Day using the date that the photo was taken (not the ingest date).    i.e. 2016/2016-11-11

And, what would be even better it I could also name it.  i.e. 2016/2016-11-11-FoggyMorning

But, I haven't been able to sort out how to do that. 

Thannks

Offline petereoin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: How to Structure File Locations.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 12:40:43 PM »
You can try the following variable when naming your photos on the ingest screen under "Rename Ingested Photos as"

{year4} /  {month0} / {day0} = Capture Year/ Capture Month with leading 0 / Capture Day with leading 0
{year4} /{month} /{day} = Capture Year/ Capture Month NO leading 0 / Capture Day NO leading 0

Offline digger1914

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 01:19:10 PM »
To get your "foggy morning" into the file name look as using Job Name.  That's what I do

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 02:08:26 PM »
I'm trying to set up PM so that it works consistent with how I have processed my images pre-PM!  I have not purchased the program yet, but I will because I do like what it does. 

I would like to get it to ingest my photos in a year's folder (2016), by date in the format Year-Month-Day using the date that the photo was taken (not the ingest date).    i.e. 2016/2016-11-11

And, what would be even better it I could also name it.  i.e. 2016/2016-11-11-FoggyMorning

Change the "Copy Photos" popup to "Into Folder with Name" and then in the Folder Name field enter:

{year4}/{year4}-{month0}-{day0}-FoggyMorning

That should do it.

Here is some documentation that will help you understand Ingest and Photo Mechanic's "Variables" system:

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Ingest
http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Image_Variables
http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Variables_List

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Kenton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 08:09:00 PM »
Thank you, I'll give that a try!

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 05:28:43 AM »
I use that same filing system. I first enter the details of the shoot (keywords etc) in the Stationary Pad including the Location which can either be a place or topic like "foggy morning"
and I apply stationary pad to photos on Ingest.

My destination folder is then {year4}/{year4}-{month0}-{day0}-{location} and I don't need to change that from shoot to shoot.

Jim
js-ca.net