Author Topic: Getting PM to 'see' a Nikon D5  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Phil A

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Getting PM to 'see' a Nikon D5
« on: November 20, 2016, 08:45:56 AM »
Hi Team

right details first;

Running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 17719 (c8049ca) on a Mac running OSX 10.11.6 The D5 has the latest C Firmware update , 1.10 installed.

Now here is the thing ... plug the camera direct to the computer via USB and hit ingest, up pops the template BUT the camera, and cards are not visible in the menu.  However pop the cards out attach a reader to the same USB lead and PING there they are and ingest impeccably.

Now I know it is not a show stopper but am I missing a trick somewhere , or am I trying to do something that is not possible (can't think why)

Any help with this gratefully received

Thanks

Offline petereoin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Getting PM to 'see' a Nikon D5
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 09:36:14 AM »
Fireboot

You should be able to see your photos when connected directly to your camera.

As a rule of thumb, I never connect my camera directly to my PC, that is what card readers are for, less likelihood of something going wrong

Offline Phil A

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 10:43:55 AM »
 Hi Peter, thanks for that ... 8) Yes, The camera to computer was a 'get out of jail free card' when my card reader failed.  It looks like I need to pack a spare reader as the camera most definitely doesn't get 'seen'

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 02:33:47 PM »
Hi Phil, 

There is another way to Import your image files when your camera is connected to the Mac via a USB cable. Just quit the Photos app if it starts up.  Then start Image Capture from the Applications folder. Select your camera at the upper left. Go to the Import to menu at the bottom and click the Other option to create a new folder. Click the Import all button at the bottom right.  Now you can start Photo Mechanic and open a contact sheet on the same folder used by Image Capture. If Image Capture is still copying files, then use the Command-/ shortcut to rescan the contact sheet, to show all of the files currently copied to the folder. I've attached a couple of screen grabs to show this workflow.

--Bob

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 02:36:10 PM »
Here is the screen grab from Image Capture.

--Bob