Author Topic: Files not moving to trash after deleting off card  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Greg Eans

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Files not moving to trash after deleting off card
« on: November 28, 2016, 09:02:47 AM »
I was wondering if anyone using Photo Mechanic is having this issue. After deleting images from the camera card, there is no trash to be deleted in the “Empty Trash” menu in the finder (Macbook Pro). And the images are still on the card, to be deleted only after reformatting the card with the camera.

Here are my specs:
Photo Mechanic V5.0  build 17719 (c8049ca)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)running macOS Sierra Version 10.12.1

This issue began after updating to macOS Sierra.

Thanks for any help you may have!

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Files not moving to trash after deleting off card
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 09:13:22 AM »
First of all, do not delete files off your card this way but always format the card in the camera. Deleting files will make recovery in case of failure or other issues of your card later much harder.

Having said that, they should just go to the trash, unless you are removing your card before you have cleaned the trash. important to note in this respect is that the trash is local to the disk you remove the files from. So if the disk is not attached, you won't see its trash.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Greg Eans

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 09:27:40 AM »
My workflow is the following.

I download all images from the card to a folder on my MacBook Pro. Sometimes I leave the originals on the card for a few days but typically I clear it off pretty quickly. The way I do this is I select the images (from the mounted card) in PhotoMechanic and delete them. Then, with the card still mounted, I empty the trash and then eject the card. Then I reformat the card the next time I put it in the camera. Been doing this for years.

The issue is that there appears to be no files to be deleted in the trash, now, after deleting them in Photo Mechanic. This happened after I updated to macOS Sierra.

I am just wondering, since I have selected the option to "Move files to the trash after deleting" in Preferences, if this may be a bug of some sort.  I can get around it by just reformatting the card, like usual, but it's different than before and seems to be something that isn't working correctly.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 11:41:54 AM »
Greg,

We have verified that the problem that you reported is a bug in macOS Sierra.  We expect an update from Apple that fixes this problem.  Unfortunately, we are bound by an NDA that keeps us from being more specific.

That said, what Hayo says is what Camera Bits recommends as well.  Always reformat your cards in your camera prior to using them again.

-Kirk

Offline Greg Eans

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 01:01:48 PM »
Thanks, Kirk.