Author Topic: 5D MK IV: focusmode, whitebalance variables don´t work; ICC profile not correct  (Read 6582 times)

Offline ralf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello,

I am running PM 5 build 17719 (c8049ca) with MacOS 10.12.1 as mentioned above focusmode, whitebalance do not work in the infopanel and the ICC profile is wrong. It should be Adobe RGB but it shows sRGB instead.

This seems connected with Canon EOS 5D Mark IV files. I didn´t have the problem with the 5D Mark III.

IPTC saved with PM doesn´t work properly either. Some fields (e.g. caption) doesn´t show up in Photoshop or CaptureOne.

Any help?

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:28:18 PM by ralf »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
I am running PM 5 build 17719 (c8049ca) with MacOS 10.12.1 as mentioned above focusmode, whitebalance do not work in the infopanel and the ICC profile is wrong. It should be Adobe RGB but it shows sRGB instead.

The ICC profile is that of the embedded JPEG which is always sRGB.  RAW files don't have an ICC profile associated with them.

This seems connected with Canon EOS 5D Mark IV files. I didn´t have the problem with the 5D Mark III.

IPTC saved with PM doesn´t work properly either. Some fields (e.g. caption) doesn´t show up in Photoshop or CaptureOne.

What IPTC/XMP settings are you using?  You should be using the "Adobe" settings which should produce an XMP sidecar file for your RAW files.

-Kirk

Offline ralf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thank you Kirk,

I changed to Adobe settings, but it didn´t had any effect on the files when using CaptureOne. Still missing datas and also some words changing the spelling (e.g. n instead of b). I usually convert files within C1 and C1 now doesn´t tranfer the data properly. XMP sidecars are also not very appealing to me, as I have now more and more files in my folders. All of this wasn´t the case before, with my older 5D´s.

Any thought´s?

Thanks
Ralf

Offline ralf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
The ICC profile is that of the embedded JPEG which is always sRGB.  RAW files don't have an ICC profile associated with them.

Hi Kirk,

I checked older 5D files and it shows not always sRGB. With the 5D Mark III and earlier it shows exactly what was the setting in the camera body (s. attachmend). This seems to me correct, because it should mirror the settings, so if I decide to use JPEG instead of RAW it would be Adobe RGB. Am I wrong with this thoughts?

Many thanks
Ralf

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
This question has popped up here a while ago. The newer Canon cameras apparently always save the embedded JPG as sRGB, despite the camera being set to aRGB. See the discussion here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=10616.0
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Ralf,

I changed to Adobe settings, but it didn´t had any effect on the files when using CaptureOne. Still missing datas and also some words changing the spelling (e.g. n instead of b).

I don't see how specific letters can change unless the text is being reinterpreted with a different encoding.  XMP is UTF-8 and all applications should interpret the text as UTF-8.  Legacy IPTC data is subject to interpretation however.  We don't recommend relying on legacy IPTC data.

-Kirk

Offline ralf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello Kirk,

there is a b missing in the coyright field - not changing. Sorry that was my mistake. I am just wondering why these things with the 5D MK IV are changing when they worked before with the older 5D cameras?

My workflow is adding IPTC informations into the RAW files while importing. After that, converting with CaptureOne to Tiff. It seems now that this is not working anymore. Do I have to get in contact with the CaptureOne people about this issue or do you have a solution?

Thank you Hayo for clarifying...

Best
Ralf

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Ralf,

there is a b missing in the coyright field - not changing. Sorry that was my mistake. I am just wondering why these things with the 5D MK IV are changing when they worked before with the older 5D cameras?

My workflow is adding IPTC informations into the RAW files while importing. After that, converting with CaptureOne to Tiff. It seems now that this is not working anymore. Do I have to get in contact with the CaptureOne people about this issue or do you have a solution?

If you can furnish a sample Canon 5D MkIV RAW file that exhibits this behavior, I can look into the file and see what the copyright field looks like.  If it is properly represented then you'd have to take up the issue with the C1 folks.

If you can put a sample up on something like DropBox and give me a link to it that would be the best, otherwise you can contact me privately for our FTP server information and then you can upload your sample to our server.

-Kirk

Offline ralf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thank you Kirk,

I was just preparing a sample file for you and used another camera body and the issue disappeared. So, I have to investigate more on my end to find out if this is a specific camera problem. I will report back, when I am closer to a result. This will take some days, as I am quite busy at the moment.

Sorry for the inconvinience I caused so far.

Best wishes
Ralf

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Ralf,

The 5D Mk IV was not whitelisted in PM to parse the maker note and therefore some fields are missing including {focusmode} and {whitebalance}.  I have added this model (and a few other recent Canon models) to the whitelist and these fields should be back in the next release.

--dennis