Author Topic: Auto changing category  (Read 6055 times)

Offline pdenby

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Auto changing category
« on: December 11, 2016, 01:35:16 PM »
Hi, newbie here.

I want to created a folder name structure like the following: category / date / edit / final /
I have got this far: {category}{year4}{monthname3}{day} /final/

I want the category to change (abstract, landscape, etc.) as and when a new photo is ingested but I have failed to figure out how.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Paul

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Auto changing category
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 01:40:08 PM »
I want the category to change (abstract, landscape, etc.) as and when a new photo is ingested but I have failed to figure out how.
What do you mean by this? What should trigger the change?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline pdenby

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 02:00:25 PM »
I guess that's my question. Is it possible to do?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 02:00:35 PM »
Paul,

I want to created a folder name structure like the following: category / date / edit / final /
I have got this far: {category}{year4}{monthname3}{day} /final/

You would need to put directory separators between each of those variables like so:

{category}/{year4}/{monthname3}/{day}/final/

If you're going to use the {category} variable, please note that the value will be drawn from the photo's metadata which unless it has been set in the images ahead of time will be blank.  If you really need category data to be your most root folder, then you'll have to do the Ingest after you have tagged each photo with the proper metadata.  There is no automated way to do this that I know.

-Kirk

Offline pdenby

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 02:16:44 PM »

I'm not keen on Date as the root folder purely because its not as easy to see and has less meaning for me.

I thought the roving category field was a bit of a punt  ::) but if  wondered there were any variables in the IPTC Stationary Pad that could help.

Paul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 02:29:31 PM »
Paul,

I'm not keen on Date as the root folder purely because its not as easy to see and has less meaning for me.

I thought the roving category field was a bit of a punt  ::) but if  wondered there were any variables in the IPTC Stationary Pad that could help.

If the data has to be entered by you to classify images then that data must be entered before you try to use a variable.  This sort of classification can be done virtually with a cataloging program (which PM5 is not) and no images need to be moved around.

-Kirk