Author Topic: Preview confusion  (Read 4505 times)

Offline jrp

• View Profile
Preview confusion
« on: December 10, 2016, 01:14:06 PM »
I have Photo Mechanic running on the latest Sierra on a MacBook Pro 2016 15".  In preview mode I find that Photo Mechanic often seems to lose the side tabs that I have customised.  Sometimes `I can get back to something usable by entering full screen / restore but it's a bit hit & miss.  Is there a way of restoring the preview settings to their defaults?  It's quite annoying not being able to see the image information while previewing, for example.  Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Preview confusion
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 01:50:13 PM »
I have Photo Mechanic running on the latest Sierra on a MacBook Pro 2016 15".  In preview mode I find that Photo Mechanic often seems to lose the side tabs that I have customised.  Sometimes `I can get back to something usable by entering full screen / restore but it's a bit hit & miss.  Is there a way of restoring the preview settings to their defaults?  It's quite annoying not being able to see the image information while previewing, for example.  Thanks.

Could you post a screen shot showing what the problem is, please?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 12:04:40 PM »
If you do any playing around with the screen elements of preview mode, it gets confused (latest Sierra).  Here, for example, I cannot scroll to the top of the right panel to see the info screen.  The panel is a bit erratic, depending on which sub panels are open / shut.

But try resizing the panel horizontally (changing the width) and you will get into a whole new world of weirdness: the right panel will have a frame, but not contents, etc.

The short-term work around would be to provide a reset button or menu control.  The longer-term solution is to make the panels work as you would expect.  Thanks.

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 05:19:01 PM »
I was unable to recreate the problem that you're having on my macOS 10.12.2 machine running Photo Mechanic 5, build 17719.

Would it be possible for you to contact our support department by phone or email so that we may setup a time to do a shared computing session with you? I would like for one of our support personal to see what steps are required to recreate the problem that you're having. (http://www.camerabits.com/tv/)

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

Thank you.

-Jerry

Offline jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 10:23:11 AM »
Thanks.  Sorry I have not had the time to make the call.  I have the display scaled to one size bigger text than the default, in case that is part of the issue, and my macOS launch bar is at the bottom and in the mode where it is hidden until I put the cursor at the bottom of the screen.

I also, fairly regularly find, again in preview mode, that pictures are no longer displayed: the thumbnails are on the right and you can scroll through them, but the preview window and the info strip (the bit shown in the above image) are blank.

Is there a way to restore the preview window to its default settings?  (I restart Photo Mechanic, which usually works at least for a while.)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 11:47:15 AM »
Is there a way to restore the preview window to its default settings?  (I restart Photo Mechanic, which usually works at least for a while.)

Restarting PM is the least intrusive way cause the Preview window to be recreated at this time.

-Kirk

Offline jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 09:33:27 AM »
I've noticed that the preview can just disappear even while I am looking at it, without touching anything.  I'm then just left with the thumbnail strip and a blank canvas where the preview was.  Moving to another thumbnail leaves the canvas blank.  Camera Mechanic seems then to go into a loop, taking 300% cpu.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 01:16:05 PM »
I've noticed that the preview can just disappear even while I am looking at it, without touching anything.  I'm then just left with the thumbnail strip and a blank canvas where the preview was.  Moving to another thumbnail leaves the canvas blank.  Camera Mechanic seems then to go into a loop, taking 300% cpu.

Could you post a screenshot of the entire Preview window once it is in this condition, please?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Joachim Lagercrantz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 10:19:18 PM »
I see the same problems. Here some screen shots.

Offline Joachim Lagercrantz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 10:22:04 PM »
PM 18040.
Macbook Pro Retina mid 2012
Sierra 10.12.2 (16C67)

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 02:26:41 AM »
Hmm, this looks like a video driver issue to me. My mid 2012 MBP does not exhibit this issue so it might also be HW related/specific.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 08:45:43 AM »
Thanks for the screenshots.  I will continue to investigate this issue.

It does seem to be macOS Sierra related as we have had no reports on this issue on earlier OSes.

-Kirk