Author Topic: Saving from Photoshop  (Read 3670 times)

Offline ellejay

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Saving from Photoshop
« on: December 13, 2016, 11:46:36 AM »
Hello,

I am using Photo Mechanic 5 build 17719 on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1 and Photoshop C.C 2015.5

I launch images from Photo Mechanic into Photoshop and use a Photoshop action to sharpen and save images (from different folders) to a single folder.  I sometimes have a problem if 2 images from different locations have the same filename and I am trying to save them to the same folder.

Ideally I would like an image with a duplicate filename to automatically have an extension added (like A at the end) and NOT override or replace another image with the same filename.  I see a setting for this in Photo Mechanic but it doesn't seem to apply when I'm saving files from Photoshop.

Is there a way to add a letter in Photoshop to the end of a filename?  Whenever I try it changes the entire filename.  Saving as a copy doesn't work either because then both images with the same filename just become copies.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Laura

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Saving from Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 04:01:46 PM »
Hi Laura,

As far as I know, in the current Photoshop CC 2017.0.0 version there is not a way to do exactly what you are looking for.

I am assuming you're looking to save a JPG?

There is a checkbox in Photoshop's  "Save As" dialog to save as a copy.  It leaves your original file as is and appends "copy" to the new filename.  But, this involves changing the file format to JPEG. I believe it defaults to PSD.

You could also use the Export method in Photoshop. You can choose to have "Quick export" always save the image to an "Assets" subfolder to what you are currently working on, or in "Export preferences" you can set it to always ask you where to save the file. In that case the folder will default to where the current file is. In that case, when the Dialog comes up, you would just press right-arrow then 1 or A or whatever you like.    ("Quick export" is what I use myself)

I hope this helps.

-Mick

Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
Re: Saving from Photoshop
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 04:10:17 AM »
Hello,

I am using Photo Mechanic 5 build 17719 on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1 and Photoshop C.C 2015.5

I launch images from Photo Mechanic into Photoshop and use a Photoshop action to sharpen and save images (from different folders) to a single folder.  I sometimes have a problem if 2 images from different locations have the same filename and I am trying to save them to the same folder.

Ideally I would like an image with a duplicate filename to automatically have an extension added (like A at the end) and NOT override or replace another image with the same filename.  I see a setting for this in Photo Mechanic but it doesn't seem to apply when I'm saving files from Photoshop.

Is there a way to add a letter in Photoshop to the end of a filename?  Whenever I try it changes the entire filename.  Saving as a copy doesn't work either because then both images with the same filename just become copies.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Laura

Have you tried Adobe Camera Raw (which is included into Photoshop) to sharpen your images?
You can edit the images individually or in bulk and save them to the same folder or another.
When saving duplicates are not a problem. It will add an extra character to the new files.
Give a try!