Author Topic: Where's cataloging?  (Read 29642 times)

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
Re: Where's cataloging?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2017, 01:35:08 AM »
Too bad.  I have lots of replacements for LR's editor, but none for the overall DAM aspects, integration with plugins, etc.  Adobe needs competition in that space, whether you want to stay with Adobe or switch.

I guess we agree. Two lines below the line you cited from you my post, you will see my quote from the Swedish photographer Per Karlsson: "...I do not want the DAM system to do image editing for me" and that I am with him in that postion.

PM with the world's best database/catalog/GUI would still not be a replacement for LR or C1, as they both include a very capable editor.  I will be happy with PM with Catalog and no editor, a no-replacement. The software niche of browser-with-catalog-but-no-editor probably lives between a rock and a hard place.  My guess is that integration will be a very imortant part of CB's survival kit.

--
Odd S.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2017, 08:36:06 AM »
Graham,

I have been using photomechanic for 15+ years. In all that time, I have heard about this "catalgue". I simply don't believe it will exists. I  think you all need to reveal what it will do and why it will be worth the wait. Sorry for the negativity.

PM6 is under development and the feature set will be revealed when the application is ready for wider testing by our users.

We have never asked people to wait for Catalog.  If you search the forums you'll see posts by myself and possibly others from Camera Bits, Inc. telling people that if they need an application that helps them track their images that they should look elsewhere and not wait for our solution.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2017, 03:03:48 PM »
Too bad.  I have lots of replacements for LR's editor, but none for the overall DAM aspects, integration with plugins, etc.  Adobe needs competition in that space, whether you want to stay with Adobe or switch.

I kind of disagree that an all-in-one solution would be the best. As an example, just look at Lightroom as it is currently. Hogged down, slow, a mess of legacy code not utilising modern GPUs and multi-core CPUs almost at all, with any new added feature like Transform or even older features like Spot Removal not working well at all (technical: Spot Removal and Transform/Perspective corrections take place at the very end of Lightroom's rendering pipeline, meaning you are best doing them BEFORE any edits were made to the photo at all, for them to be responsive even on very high-end hardware - to actually use them meaningfuly with the GUI responsible at all, without half-a-minute wait for mouse cursor, I had to create a preset that is empty of any default edits, apply the by-hand corrections, and then select another preset that applies all the low-level corrections like lens-correction, sharpening, colour profile, contrast, whatever...). If Adobe was selling a standalone version of Adobe Camera Raw, I wouldn't even use its products at all except it (and that's probably why they don't sell it as standalone). All-in-one products are usualy mediocre to downright bad in performance and usability. Even Adobe recently admitted that themselves with the plan (yet to be seen in reality) to overhaul Lightroom for better performance. Just give me a good, performance friendly browser/catalogue app, a good, performance friendly editing app, all interconnected via XMP metadata (meaning the edits are saved inside the file or at least sidecar, not in some proprietary stupid folder structure that doesn't play well with copying the files elsewhere), and I will be a very happy photographer.

While it would be great to be able to just utilise PM as an all-in-one browser, DAM and RAW editor, I don't see that happening without compromise in other aspects. It's just not realistic. I will be happy with PM being my primary browser and culling tool, and (hopefuly) handling the DAM part once that gets released, with editing outside in other software, if it plays well with it.

Offline Andreas Yankopolus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Personal home page
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2017, 09:16:15 AM »
Just give me a good, performance friendly browser/catalogue app, a good, performance friendly editing app, all interconnected via XMP metadata (meaning the edits are saved inside the file or at least sidecar, not in some proprietary stupid folder structure that doesn't play well with copying the files elsewhere), and I will be a very happy photographer.

I agree 100% and will add that it's extremely handy if the browser/catalog app understands basic edit commands when generating thumbnails. I test drove Photo Mechanic but opted for Photo Supreme as my browser app for a variety of reasons, one being that it applies DxO Optics Pro edits like rotation and cropping when generating thumbnails.