Author Topic: PM 4.4.3.3 Ingest Mac  (Read 8765 times)

Offline ANewman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM 4.4.3.3 Ingest Mac
« on: March 06, 2007, 06:43:20 AM »
I have written previously, about problem that I was having ingesting cards with PM 4.4.3.3 and MacBook Pro DuoCore.

I subsequently discovered I apparently was not dragging the CF Card icon to the trash, prior to ejecting the CF Card.

I understand now, that is standard operating procedure, but I wanted to make sure you are aware if I inadvertently do not follow that procedure and I try to mount another disk, and when it does not work, it causes significant problems with the second card when mounted.

Even if I reboot the computer and take out the firewire reader and plug it back in, there is some sort of corruption going on in the directory file.

The only way I can retrieve images, from the second card, is to run Lexar's Image Recovery program. It is, as you can imagine, causes much heartburn (actually a heart attack), until images are safely recovered.

This happened to me on Sunday, when I was in Italy, shooting a rather important assignment. Thankfully, I had ImageRecovery with me.

I don't recall these sort of significant issues with earlier versions of PM, or my older Powerbook G4.

At the very least, may I suggest, in the next version of the program, that you might modify the prompt displayed upon completion of the ingest, so it reads:

"Finished copying from volume "/Volumes/CAMERA NAME/". Drag the camera card icon to the trash, before ejecting it. Failure to do so, could cause irrecoverable data loss."

At least, that will remind users the importance of following that procedure, because if while working on deadline, it's easy enough to forget.

With regards...
Andy Newman

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
Re: PM 4.4.3.3 Ingest Mac
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 09:40:33 AM »
Why don't you "unmount source disk..." and then you dont have to worry about it?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline ANewman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 12:44:59 AM »
Seems like a great idea. Funny, even when you use a program for a long time, how there are some features you simply are not aware of.

Surprised, the PM folks didn't counsel that last time I wrote.

Still, I think it would be smart for them to enhance the ingest complete prompt.

Thanks very much for your reply!

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 04:21:29 AM »
Another user "roysmyth" made the same suggestion I just made in a post dated 2/13/07.

On the ingest window do you have the box checked for "Unmount Source Disk(s) After Ingest"? That's what makes Photo Mechanic unmount your card so you don't have to drag it to the trash or use the finder to unmount it.

Prior to that suggestion in this thread
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=947.msg4316#msg4316

it appeared as if you had solved the problem because you wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that I was not properly dragging the card icon to the trash and that was the root of my earlier problems with my new MacBook Pro and PM

IMHO if you use the unmount source disk dialog tis there really a need to "enhance the ingest complete prompt"?  The icon will be ejected...

Delane

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 11:04:18 AM »
It should also be mentioned that this is not a PM related issue. It is simply the way that OS X works (and even OS 9 before it years ago).

No matter what program you are using you must unmount a CF card by dragging it to the trash, and waiting for it to fully unmount, before you insert your next card into the reader.

Alternatively you can unmount a card by highlighting it on the desktop and pressing Apple E (think eject).
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 11:50:18 AM »
Seems like a great idea. Funny, even when you use a program for a long time, how there are some features you simply are not aware of.

Surprised, the PM folks didn't counsel that last time I wrote.

I'm fallible.  I get dozens of messages to answer each day, and I actually write a large amount of code for Photo Mechanic each day.  Sometimes it is overwhelming and things fall through the cracks...

-Kirk

Offline ANewman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 06:15:04 PM »
No problem Kevin. None of us are perfect, every day of the year.

Meanwhile, any comments regarding my suggestion to modify the post-ingest prompt to include a warning about immediately ejecting the CF card icon?

And, can you give me some idea of what is going on, when I don't follow the appropriate procedures. Why would it have such a severe impact on the next card that is inserted?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 08:14:01 PM »
No problem Kevin. None of us are perfect, every day of the year.

;) That's Kirk, not Kevin.

Quote from: ANewman
Meanwhile, any comments regarding my suggestion to modify the post-ingest prompt to include a warning about immediately ejecting the CF card icon?

None right now.

Quote from: ANewman
And, can you give me some idea of what is going on, when I don't follow the appropriate procedures. Why would it have such a severe impact on the next card that is inserted?

The OS uses stale data from the prior card and returns the stale data to applications that query for things like folder listings, file data, etc.  Not a good thing to have going on.

-Kirk

Offline ANewman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 04:09:44 AM »
 ;) Like I said Kirk, none of us are perfect, every day of the year.

I couldn't even get your name right.  :)

Offline reefer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 06:00:48 PM »
I'm glad I read this having just done a search. Being new to the Mac version of PM the past couple of weekend shoots have driven me mad. On both occasions I have had a large number of 'corrupt' files. I have the ingest set to unmount the card but it does seem this is not enough. On Tuesday night I'll be sure to manually eject the card to the trash as well. I'm hoping this will be the end of my woe's !

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 06:46:43 PM »
You really shouldn't have to manually eject the card if you are using the "unmount..." checkbox.  I'm sure CameraBits has it set up that way...Kirk can confirm this...

Delane

Offline reefer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 04:45:21 AM »
Well I was under that impression Delane as it is the same workflow I was using on my XP based machine. It's a pain but if manually removing the icon is the only way to go then I'll have to make sure I remember to do it.

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 10:51:16 AM »
I do NOT have to manually eject the card, I"m using a MacBook Pro (Intel), OSX 10.4.8,  and as long as I have the box checked it (PM) ejects the card without me doing anything.

Delane