Author Topic: second PM Icon in Dock  (Read 23425 times)

Offline Bevilaquafoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: second PM Icon in Dock
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 10:35:56 AM »
Very odd issue. Can't keep it in the dock without multiple icons showing up. I just tried it again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 06:49:48 PM »
I'd like to know what OS versions each of you are running on your systems.  PM "knows" nothing about the Dock (in that it does not communicate with the Dock in any way at all) so I'm not sure what we can do to help you.

Is there anything about your systems that has changed besides PM?  Any updates to the OS, security updates or anything like that?

-Kirk

Offline Bevilaquafoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 07:03:28 PM »
I'm running 10.12.2 Mac Sierra

I have never had a problem with Photo Mechanic before, and it's the app that I and all my associates and clients use on a daily basis. All of a sudden, it's an issue. PM is an industry standard and we love it. Something just seems to have gone temporarily awry. Maybe Apple changed something without telling anyone? Your help would be greatly appreciated. I understand that Camera Bits has nothing to do with Mac per se, but it's been working all along. Can you take a look and see what you can find out, please? Thank you for your help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 07:58:32 PM »
I'm running 10.12.2 Mac Sierra

I have never had a problem with Photo Mechanic before, and it's the app that I and all my associates and clients use on a daily basis. All of a sudden, it's an issue. PM is an industry standard and we love it. Something just seems to have gone temporarily awry. Maybe Apple changed something without telling anyone? Your help would be greatly appreciated. I understand that Camera Bits has nothing to do with Mac per se, but it's been working all along. Can you take a look and see what you can find out, please? Thank you for your help.

macOS Sierra is still a very new OS and has a number of bugs in it.  I expect the problem will be solved by Apple in due time.

That said, it sounds like aside from the oddness in the Dock, PM is functioning quite well on your system.  I understand that this is an irritant but it doesn't keep you from getting your work done, correct?

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 03:56:58 AM »
I don't have this issue with Sierra on my MBP, but I am curious to see what the Dock thinks is the application. Could any of you who suffer this problem share the content of their Dock using:
Code: [Select]
plutil -p ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plistand then attach the output as file here?

Perhaps the output will shed some light on what's happening in this situation.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Bevilaquafoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 04:02:06 AM »
No, Kirk, the only thing that is keeping me from getting my work done is laziness coupled with a short attention span. The dock issue is just strange and somewhat enigmatic, but people say the same thing about me, so I guess I shouldn't complain. We all have our quirks, no? I'll wait for another update from Apple.   :)

Offline digger1914

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 12:27:15 PM »
I am not certain if it is this, but I have had some issues with Sierra installing software lately.  It decides that the app is somehow dangerous and moves a copy off to a secure read only directory. This is very frustrating, as these apps (for example Fantastical 2) are from well known companies.  The symptoms described here (a second icon appearing) is what I see when this happens.  If you use spotlight you may find a second copy of the program hidden away in the bowels of the system.

Offline Dominik Pluess

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 02:51:28 PM »
Hi Hayo

hope this is the right thing. I'm not a terminal expert.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 11:26:00 PM »
Hi Dominik, thanks for providing the output!

There's only one PM icon is this one though, but that's probably because the data in the file I asked you for is not the “live” version of the Dock. I think you need to reboot in between for it to show or run “killall Dock” in the terminal first. When you do either does the second icon also become a question mark for you then like others reported? Can you send us the output after you've done this too?

Thanks,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Dominik Pluess

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 11:11:22 AM »
Hi Kirk, can you send me a link to the previous PM version, that I can check if the icon issue disappear?

Offline Dominik Pluess

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 11:17:49 AM »
already downloaded it from the announcement link. Version 17671 works without icon issue.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 05:40:32 AM »
Hi Dominik,

To confirm: you do not see the double icon problem with the previous (17671) version? That's interesting as that might indicate there's something special about the new version. I don't have this problem on my Laptop with Sierra though, so there might have been something specific at your end.

Could you try installing the current (18040) again and see what happens? (please download a fresh version from the camerabits site first, it might be there's something wrong with your original download)

Hopefully the problem does not re-occur, and if it does then @Kirk should hopefully be able to find out what has changed in the build process that causes the weird Dock behaviour.
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Dominik Pluess

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 08:16:25 AM »
Hi Hayo

I downloaded it again. Problem is the same. On my iMac, version doesn't matter, same problem. On my MBP no issue with 17671.
On the iMac, sometimes the icon is inactive after restart. its strange.....

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 08:33:53 AM »
To be absolutely sure:

On your iMac (what specific OS version?): both 17671 and 18040 give the problem?
On your MBP (what specific OS version?): 17671 works fine, 18040 does not?

Note: Kirk checked to see if there was anything in the build that could have caused this but he couldn't find anything that might explain this (the versions are not that different). Also I am not seeing this on my MBP with Sierra 10.12.2
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Dominik Pluess

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 08:33:39 AM »
Hi Hayo

Yes.

Problems on iMac with 18040 and 17719
Problems on MacBookPro with 18040 but not with 17719

Both on 10.12.2