Author Topic: PM very slow on macbook Retina  (Read 6176 times)

Offline tacovdeb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM very slow on macbook Retina
« on: January 10, 2017, 07:55:33 AM »
Loading the images is very slow on Macbook pro Retina, 2,5 GHz intel Core i7 with 16 BG 1600 MHz DDR3 running on OS 10.12.2. 427 RAW (NEF) files on Lexar CF card UDMA 7. Lexar USB 3 cardreader. On my iMac it takes 4 seconds to load but on my Macbook it can take up to 4 minutes. I have two similar cardreaders and tried them both with the same problem. It used to work flawless but since some time it is really slow on de Macbook. I did reset the prefs and also copied the pref from the imac to the macbook but without result. I use MP 4.6.9. On the Imac I run OS 10.12.1. Anyone with a clue? Thanks! Taco.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM very slow on macbook Retina
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 08:09:48 AM »
Loading the images is very slow on Macbook pro Retina, 2,5 GHz intel Core i7 with 16 BG 1600 MHz DDR3 running on OS 10.12.2. 427 RAW (NEF) files on Lexar CF card UDMA 7. Lexar USB 3 cardreader. On my iMac it takes 4 seconds to load but on my Macbook it can take up to 4 minutes. I have two similar cardreaders and tried them both with the same problem. It used to work flawless but since some time it is really slow on de Macbook. I did reset the prefs and also copied the pref from the imac to the macbook but without result. I use MP 4.6.9. On the Imac I run OS 10.12.1. Anyone with a clue? Thanks! Taco.

Do you have RAW rendering enabled?  Are you using RAW rendering for thumbnails and previews?  RAW rendering is definitely slower than using the embedded JPEG in the RAW photos for thumbnails and previews.

For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888  //  Fax: +1 503.547.2880

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

They will be happy to troubleshoot the issue with you interactively which should solve the problem more quickly than we can on the forums.

-Kirk

Offline tacovdeb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 11:37:16 AM »
Hi Kirk, thanks for your reply. I use RAW rendering enabled, I think that was de default setting. On the Imac it works fine. I tried turning off this option on the macbook, its a little faster but still slow. Besides when I enable Raw rendering I always use: 'For RAW only: Use embedded JPEG for speed' so I think that should be ok.
I will contact the support folks now and thank you so far!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 04:53:30 PM »
Hi Kirk, thanks for your reply. I use RAW rendering enabled, I think that was de default setting. On the Imac it works fine. I tried turning off this option on the macbook, its a little faster but still slow. Besides when I enable Raw rendering I always use: 'For RAW only: Use embedded JPEG for speed' so I think that should be ok.
I will contact the support folks now and thank you so far!

You're welcome.  I confirm that your settings look fine.

-Kirk

Offline tacovdeb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 09:03:52 AM »
The 'support folks' did help me in a great way. It turned out to be my antivirus software that slowed down PM.
This software was turned-on on my Macbook and turned-off on my Imac which caused the speed difference.
I feel a bit stupid, but well, the problem is solved and I would like others with similar problems to know this outcome.

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 01:43:36 PM »
I read this topic and I've noticed the difference of the UI with my PM. Why there's this difference?

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 07:19:55 PM »
I would assume it's because the original poster is running an older (v4) version of PM...

... I use MP 4.6.9 ...

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 05:26:07 AM »
I would assume it's because the original poster is running an older (v4) version of PM...

... I use MP 4.6.9 ...

The new version has the UI that looks more old than the old version.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 09:30:20 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 09:30:27 AM »

... I use MP 4.6.9 ...

The new version has the UI that looks more old than the old version.  ;D

:D

We went with a different layout (away from tabs) because the Mac OS X tab view doesn't allow more tabs than fit along the width of the window and we can't make it wider or it will be too large for some users.

-Kirk