Author Topic: Advanced Code Replacement Help, please  (Read 3003 times)

Offline flyingpoint

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Advanced Code Replacement Help, please
« on: January 16, 2017, 05:47:41 PM »
I've been trying something for the last couple of days and hoping that someone can help me out.

I'm attempting to use columns.  My table is below, but includes skier, club, race, group and keywords.  The first four columns feed a caption, the keywords feed the keyword section.

The tab delimited table looks fine.  I've gone through and checked.

My IPTC table is below.  I thought I could enter the racer number in "Person's Shown" and it would refer to the table and fill in the rest.  But it doesn't seem to be working.  All I get are the digits, e.g that first section reads "\#1\ of \#2\..."  Everything else works fine.  It's almost like it's not seeing the "Persons Shown" entry.

I'm using a Mac running OS 10.12.  Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 18040 (9e75cf5)

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Advanced Code Replacement Help, please
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 06:06:52 PM »
Please post your Code Replacement text file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline flyingpoint

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 06:08:51 PM »
Here's the entire thing.  You'll notice that the first six are "different."  I was messing with the bib numbers to see if it made a difference.  (number vs. text.)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 08:33:39 AM »
Your Code Replacement file looks fine to me.  Numbers or text will work.  From your screenshot you're going to be clearing out the Persons Shown field when the IPTC Stationery Pad is applied which will erase the value prior to it being used.  If you're wanting to use the Persons Shown field via {person} or {prsn} then you'll have to had entered values into the IPTC record for each image for the Persons Shown field matching one of your codes.  Then when you apply the IPTC Stationery Pad, (without clearing Persons Shown!) the values you've entered will be looked up and replaced appropriately.  If you don't want those codes appearing in your IPTC metadata then you'll have to do a second pass of applying the IPTC Stationery Pad, clearing the Persons Shown field.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline flyingpoint

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 08:53:56 AM »
Thanks Kirk.  Just trying to get my head around the workflow --- I'd enter \B1\ and "Eli Hoenig" would populate the Persons Shown field.  Then apply the stationery pad?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 12:26:05 PM »
Thanks Kirk.  Just trying to get my head around the workflow --- I'd enter \B1\ and "Eli Hoenig" would populate the Persons Shown field.  Then apply the stationery pad?

No, you enter the following into the Persons Shown field in the IPTC Info:

B1

(and other appropriate codes for the other images as you go through them one-by-one)

Then you select all of the images and then apply the IPTC Stationery Pad (without clearing the Persons Shown).  At this point all of your captions and keywords will be set.  Then if you want to clear out Persons Shown you can apply another IPTC Stationery Pad to only apply the Persons Shown field.

If your overall goal is to also have the Persons Shown filled in with the name instead of the code, I suggest using a different field for you Code Replacement lookup.  Some field you don't plan on using (Special Instructions, Edit Status, Transmission Reference, etc.) and you can clear it out later.

Does that make sense?

-Kirk

Offline flyingpoint

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 12:31:53 PM »
Yes --- pretty sure I'm following.  But I'll give it a shot this week.

Thanks for the help.  Very much appreciated.