Author Topic: Quotation marks at the beginning and end of the set of keywords  (Read 6165 times)

Offline Matson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Quotation marks at the beginning and end of the set of keywords
« on: January 23, 2017, 12:34:58 AM »
Everything else works fine, but PM makes quotation marks at the beginning and end of the set of keywords. Those marks are not shown in PM, but when I saved photo (in PM) and take a look in Photoshop, there are those marks. The pictures do not exist by using keywords inside quatation marks, but if I manually take marks off, it works. Why the quotation marks appear, and how can I prevent these? Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Quotation marks at the beginning and end of the set of keywords
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 08:05:33 AM »
Everything else works fine, but PM makes quotation marks at the beginning and end of the set of keywords. Those marks are not shown in PM, but when I saved photo (in PM) and take a look in Photoshop, there are those marks. The pictures do not exist by using keywords inside quatation marks, but if I manually take marks off, it works. Why the quotation marks appear, and how can I prevent these? Thanks!

Please post a sample image that presents the problem.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your image.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 10:30:08 AM »
The image of the hockey players: is the metadata in that picture straight out of PM, or has it been 'corrected' in Photoshop?

-Kirk

Offline Matson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 11:29:33 AM »
Straight out PM, just resize.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 12:18:33 PM »
Check the separator character that PM and Photoshop use for list of keywords. I've seen this behaviour before and it was caused by what you think you enter as different keywords is in fact just one keyword, but with the separator character inside them. If Photoshop then sees this long keyword with the seaparators in it, it has to put quotes around it to keep it as one keyword.

So you should check to see if what you have entered in PM is in fact entered using the correct separator.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 01:24:16 PM »
I can see from your XMP metadata that you're using semi-colon ( ; ) as your separator.  PM did indeed write all of your keywords as a single keyword item.  I expect your settings in PM to be using comma ( , ) as your separator.  You can change the preferences (IPTC/XMP) to tell PM you prefer semi-colon.

That should fix the problem.  Thanks, Hayo!

-Kirk

Offline Matson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 12:14:43 AM »
Yes, problem solved! Thanks!  :)