Author Topic: Apple File System (APFS) coming in 2017  (Read 4307 times)

Offline mcasan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Apple File System (APFS) coming in 2017
« on: February 03, 2017, 10:36:16 AM »
Apple will likely release APFS as part of IOS 10.13 and also put it MacOS, WatchOS, TVOS this year as well.

I hope Camera Bits is testing PM with MacOS APFS.   None of us want to have problems as APFS replaces the current file systems this coming year.

Olympus E-M1 II & Pro lenses

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Apple File System (APFS) coming in 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 11:58:15 AM »
Apple will likely release APFS as part of IOS 10.13 and also put it MacOS, WatchOS, TVOS this year as well.

I hope Camera Bits is testing PM with MacOS APFS.   None of us want to have problems as APFS replaces the current file systems this coming year.

Photo Mechanic uses I/O systems provided by the OS and doesn't do anything "low-level" or unsanctioned.  We expect PM to work fine with any OS-supported file systems with no modification necessary to PM.  That said, I suggest that anyone that needs to get work done with their computers (even work not done via PM) be wary of new OS upgrades.  Apple has had a history of releasing new OSes with significant problems on already long-existing file systems.  Hopefully this won't be the case, but if problems with the new OS happen, you'll be glad you waited to upgrade.

-Kirk

Offline jarle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Apple File System (APFS) coming in 2017
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 03:27:03 AM »
News to me. Thanks. Generally speaking, you should never be first in line to upgrade the OS, especially if you're a professional user dependent on your computer. Better to wait a few months and let someone else find all the (nasty) bugs. Can save you a lot of headache and heartbrake.

Jarle