Author Topic: How to Sort by Date/Time Updated in Lightroom  (Read 4232 times)

Offline ssphillips

• Newcomer
  • Portrait and Commercial Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Riverwood Photography
How to Sort by Date/Time Updated in Lightroom
« on: February 06, 2017, 03:39:01 PM »
I have thousands of photos from several cameras that I need to sort in time order as per the date/time that I modified using Lightroom's "Edit Capture Time" function. I have tried every custom sort variable that I can find related to date or time and none of them seem to use the date/time saved from Lightroom into xmp. Surely there must be a way to make this work? Please help.

Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 18040 (9e75cf5) on Windows 7 Pro SP 1

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to Sort by Date/Time Updated in Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 06:49:42 PM »
I have thousands of photos from several cameras that I need to sort in time order as per the date/time that I modified using Lightroom's "Edit Capture Time" function. I have tried every custom sort variable that I can find related to date or time and none of them seem to use the date/time saved from Lightroom into xmp. Surely there must be a way to make this work? Please help.

Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 18040 (9e75cf5) on Windows 7 Pro SP 1

PM uses the EXIF date/time from the image itself and does not use the duplicate and non-synchronized data that Adobe puts in XMP.  Adobe duplicates a number of EXIF fields in XMP.

Other than updating the images from the XMP via ExifTool, I have no solution for you.

-Kirk

Offline ssphillips

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Riverwood Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 07:43:16 AM »
That's a really unfortunate miscommunication between software tools. Why couldn't the values in XMP be available as variable to edit a custom sort?

So if I had used PM's "Adjust Capture Dates and Times" tool instead would that have prevented this problem?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 08:05:22 AM »
That's a really unfortunate miscommunication between software tools. Why couldn't the values in XMP be available as variable to edit a custom sort?

So if I had used PM's "Adjust Capture Dates and Times" tool instead would that have prevented this problem?

Yes, PM updates the actual EXIF tags and not only would PM see the updated dates/times, so would all of Adobe's software and any other software that understands the EXIF standard.

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 12:17:29 PM »
In the Catalog Settings screen of LR there is an option to make LR write date/time changes into the EXIF of raw files.

Offline ssphillips

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Riverwood Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 12:32:24 PM »
Interesting. I'll test that in the future but it doesn't seem to work with images that have already been updated in Lightroom.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 12:49:35 PM »
Interesting. I'll test that in the future but it doesn't seem to work with images that have already been updated in Lightroom.

I suppose you could change the time by one second forward and then change the time back by a second which should cause the files to be updated with the same time.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline ssphillips

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Riverwood Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 01:42:10 PM »
I actually tried that (and saved Metadata) and it didn't change anything... There still seems to be a mismatch between what LR is writing to vs what PM is reading.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 03:21:02 PM »
I actually tried that (and saved Metadata) and it didn't change anything... There still seems to be a mismatch between what LR is writing to vs what PM is reading.

Please post a sample image and its XMP sidecar file.  I'll be able to tell you definitively what is going on.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your files.

Thanks,

-Kirk