Author Topic: colour labels not writing/reading to XMP?  (Read 4213 times)

Offline myotis

• View Profile
colour labels not writing/reading to XMP?
« on: February 15, 2017, 06:03:38 AM »
I am reading and writing XMP sidecar files with Capture One, Fast Raw Viewer and PM5, all the latest versions.

Changing "star ratings" in any one of the programs is reflected in changes in the star ratings in the other two.

But although changing colour labels in C1, changes the colour labels in FRV, and vice versa,  PM seems to neither read colour changes made in C1 or FRV  nor write any colour changes that C1 or FRV can read.

I assume I am missing an obvious setting in PM somewhere, as I though I had this working in the past.

Any help appreciated.

edit: I now see that the labels are updated when I shut PM down. Is this how its meant to work. I assumed, that as the stars were instantly updated, the colour labels would be as well

Cheers,

Graham
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:29:44 AM by myotis »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: colour labels not writing/reading to XMP?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 06:56:17 AM »
Graham,

I am reading and writing XMP sidecar files with Capture One, Fast Raw Viewer and PM5, all the latest versions.

Changing "star ratings" in any one of the programs is reflected in changes in the star ratings in the other two.

But although changing colour labels in C1, changes the colour labels in FRV, and vice versa,  PM seems to neither read colour changes made in C1 or FRV  nor write any colour changes that C1 or FRV can read.

I assume I am missing an obvious setting in PM somewhere, as I though I had this working in the past.

Any help appreciated.

edit: I now see that the labels are updated when I shut PM down. Is this how its meant to work. I assumed, that as the stars were instantly updated, the colour labels would be as well

It should update as soon as you switch back to PM.  I'd like to see a screen shot of your IPTC/XMP settings in the Preferences dialog. Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 09:09:43 AM »
I have attached a screenshot, but I think things are working as well as they can be now.

I was getting confused because things were happening either very quickly, very slowly or apparently not at all, and the colour mapping between PM and XMP, didn't match the colour mapping between XMP and C1/FRV.

I have now chosen the Lightroom option in PM, for colour mapping which only gives me 5 colours, but at least they map to the same five colours in C1 and FRV. Before this C1 and FRV were matching colours correctly but PM wasn't.

C1 seems to randomly sync automatically and immediately, while at other times needs a manual reload of the metadata before any changes occur.

FRV seems to also read and write to XMP rather randomly and there is no way of forcing a read/write.  So sometimes it would update immediately and other times it seemed to not update at all.

I focussed in on PM as it "seemed" to the one program that wasn't showing the changes I expected, but I think it was the combination of things going on that I didn't understand.

I now don't think the issue is PM, its me trying to sort out how these programs work together.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 10:05:48 AM »
Graham,

Your settings look fine for working with RAWs that have an XMP sidecar file.  You definitely need to have the same color label names among your three applications or PM will use its own "Color Class Index" data when there is no label name match.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 10:11:36 AM »
Graham,

Your settings look fine for working with RAWs that have an XMP sidecar file.  You definitely need to have the same color label names among your three applications or PM will use its own "Color Class Index" data when there is no label name match.

Thanks, I now see this. I hadn't realised the importance of the names, I had assumed it just needed to be the same colour. Sorting it out now.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »
Graham,

Thanks, I now see this. I hadn't realised the importance of the names, I had assumed it just needed to be the same colour. Sorting it out now.

You're welcome.  Oddly enough, the label name and not the color is saved in the metadata.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 02:04:41 PM »
Oddly enough, the label name and not the color is saved in the metadata.

That is something extremely useful to know !!

Cheers,

Graham

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 01:20:02 PM »
Kirk,

I've read answers to the LR / PhotoMechanic issue for a while and had the starts working but not the colors - They not only need to match but the color words are CASE sensitive. After a long time I realized I had LR capitalized and PM not - but thought they were the same - Red & red - Big Difference!
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 02:32:49 PM »
I've read answers to the LR / PhotoMechanic issue for a while and had the starts working but not the colors - They not only need to match but the color words are CASE sensitive. After a long time I realized I had LR capitalized and PM not - but thought they were the same - Red & red - Big Difference!

Yes, the matching is case-sensitive.

-Kirk