Author Topic: Photo Mechanic Did NOT Ingest All Photos on CF Card  (Read 4254 times)

Offline Dean1148

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic Did NOT Ingest All Photos on CF Card
« on: February 19, 2017, 05:43:49 AM »
Photo Mechanic indicated "Ingest Complete" but only half the images on the card were downloaded. Unfortunately, formatted the card before catching this problem but used card-recovery software to recover images. After recovery, Photo Mechanic read the files as advertised. Particulars as follows:
File type: RAW & JPG
Card: CF,
Lexar Professional 800x, 32GB, UDMA 7
Camera: Canon EOS 1DX
Computer OS: Mac OS Sierra, 10.12.3

Would love to forward an operating log of some sort to understand problem. Hopefully it was operator error as I've lost a lot of confidence in a program I formerly considered "rock solid".

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Photo Mechanic Did NOT Ingest All Photos on CF Card
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 08:49:57 AM »
Good to hear you recovered the images.

I have never seen this behaviour of PM. There are (I think) three possibilities:
1. There were card read errors (but these should have been noted)
2. You made use of the incremental ingest and previously ingested the images
3. The files were ingested but ended up in a directory that you did not expect
Perhaps the PM.log file sheds some light on the situation. If you go to Help, Reveal Support Data, a zip will be created with the PM.log, upload it here (click Attachments and other options) and we can have a look.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:52:31 AM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Dean1148

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 02:01:35 PM »
Photo Mechanic indicated "Ingest Complete" but only half the images on the card were downloaded. Unfortunately, formatted the card before catching this problem but used card-recovery software to recover images. After recovery, Photo Mechanic read the files as advertised. Particulars as follows:

Would love to forward an operating log of some sort to understand problem. Hopefully it was operator error as I've lost a lot of confidence in a program I formerly considered "rock solid".

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 04:41:11 PM »

I see numerous copy errors on Sunday, Feb. 12th.  The first thing that comes to mind is that the card you previously used had not been unmounted completely before a new card was mounted.  This can cause the OS to report directory information that is incorrect.  Ingest reported the error in the end:

[Sun Feb-12-2017 19:01:52.177][a533e1c0][1723640] IngestTasksDialog.cpp:1278 Warning: Finished copying from volume "/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/", but not unmounting because there were errors.

This error would also have appeared in the Ingest progress dialog.

After the 12th, I see a number of out of memory conditions.  Did you set your Memory cache to a value near 1024MB?  If so, I suggest that with your large image sizes (8688 by 5792) that you set the Memory cache value to something much smaller: 256MB.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Dean1148

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 03:05:03 PM »
Thanks, Kirk. Glad to know what the problem is. I have the option checked to eject the card at the end of ingest but maybe i got in a hurry.
Disturbing is my cache is set to 256MB and you see it set to 1024. Is that a problem?

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 03:56:11 PM »
Dean,

Thanks, Kirk. Glad to know what the problem is. I have the option checked to eject the card at the end of ingest but maybe i got in a hurry.
Disturbing is my cache is set to 256MB and you see it set to 1024. Is that a problem?

I was guessing.  I can't know your Memory Cache size, but PM is running out of memory while processing some of your large images.  Setting the Memory Cache smaller can help.  Try making it even smaller.  128MB would be the next lower size I'd recommend.

-Kirk