Author Topic: My PM don't start  (Read 4236 times)

Offline JLBS

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
My PM don't start
« on: February 23, 2017, 07:30:19 AM »
Hello to all!

I have a odd situation with my PM version 5.0 Build 18040 (9e75cf5):

I've installed the software in a brand new machine (Intel core i5, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 professional 64bits): I launch the PM for working for first time and it runs fine. I close it and when I try to open it again, nothing ... the PM don't start at all.

If I restart the machine and lunch PM it works ok... If I restart it again later it don't launch.

I already uninstall and re-install the program and the problem remains!

Thanks in advance.
José Luis Silva

(sorry for my bad english)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: My PM don't start
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 07:55:30 AM »
José Luis,

I have a odd situation with my PM version 5.0 Build 18040 (9e75cf5):

I've installed the software in a brand new machine (Intel core i5, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 professional 64bits): I launch the PM for working for first time and it runs fine. I close it and when I try to open it again, nothing ... the PM don't start at all.

If I restart the machine and lunch PM it works ok... If I restart it again later it don't launch.

I already uninstall and re-install the program and the problem remains!

It sounds like PM is failing to quit and when you launch a new instance it won't start because the other instance is still running.  Open the Windows Task Manager and look for Photo Mechanic and terminate it.  Then when you launch PM again it should start.

This is not normal behavior so I'd like to have a look at the PM.log file on your system.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline JLBS

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:25:50 AM »
Kirk thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

I've done as you told me to do and it really work.

Enclose please find the zip file.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 11:12:15 AM »
José Luis,

Kirk thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

I've done as you told me to do and it really work.

Enclose please find the zip file.

Thank you.  I'm going to have you turn on some of Photo Mechanic's logging features.  Attached is a file called PMDebug.txt that I want you to download and place in the following location:

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\

You may need to adjust your Windows Explorer settings to allow you to 'Show hidden files, folders, and drives' first or you won't see the 'AppData' folder.

Put the PMDebug.txt file in the above location and launch PM again.  Then quit PM.  If it fails, terminate it again.  Then launch PM again and go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline JLBS

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 02:14:16 PM »
Kirk,
Sorry for my late reply, but I was working during the weekend and arrived home just a few hours ago.

I've done and installed the PMDebug.txt file and now everything runs fine and smooth!

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards!
José Luis Silva

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 04:53:24 PM »
José Luis,

Sorry for my late reply, but I was working during the weekend and arrived home just a few hours ago.

I've done and installed the PMDebug.txt file and now everything runs fine and smooth!

Interesting.  All that did was cause PM to log each step it goes through while shutting down.  Harmless, but it will unnecessarily increase the log size (PM won't allow it to get too large and will eventually trim it down anyway.)

You can remove the PMDebug.txt (or rename it) for now.  If the problem returns then put it back (or rename it back to PMDebug.txt) and post the zipped PM log file here.

-Kirk

Offline JLBS

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 12:35:47 PM »
Kirk,

Many thanks fot the kind reply once again.

The PM is working perfect know...

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Kindest regards
José Luis Silva

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 12:40:44 PM »