Author Topic: Using IPTC Lists in Artwork or Object fields  (Read 3494 times)

Offline fotopan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Using IPTC Lists in Artwork or Object fields
« on: February 23, 2017, 02:59:12 PM »
I noticed I can define IPTC List for several of Artwork or Object structure fields. Is there any way to use the defined values in Info or IPTC Stationery dialogs? I am using PM 5.0 (build 18040) on Windows 10.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:18:23 PM by fotopan »
--
Pawel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Using IPTC Lists in Artwork or Object fields
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 03:53:58 PM »
I noticed I can define IPTC List for several of Artwork or Object structure fields. Is there any way to use the defined values in Info or IPTC Stationery dialogs? I am using PM 5.0 (build 18040) on Windows 10.

Which "defined values" are you referring to?

-Kirk

Offline fotopan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 04:36:15 PM »
When working in IPTC Info or IPTC Stationery Pad window I can use a triangle buttons on the right side of the editable fields to edit lists of values for the fields - the "Edit IPTC List" windows appears.

Here I can choose a variety of fields to define the IPTC Lists for - for example "Art or Object Creators" or "Art or Object Sources".

The problem is, if I define an IPTC List of values for some of the "Art or Object" fields, I cannot use the values I defined when working with images - I can't find any way to display a list of predefined values for Artwork or Object fields.
--
Pawel

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 12:07:16 PM »
We recently updated the Artwork or Object field to include all 17 columns (or sub-fields) to conform with the 2014 IPTC specification (IPTC Extension version 1.2).  Previously PM only had the 6 columns defined in the 2008 IPTC specification.  Unfortunately, it because unruly to have 17 popups for the 17 columns so we just removed the 6 popups that were previously there rather than add another 11 popups.  But as you point out, we did not remove those 6 lists from the Edit IPTC List dialog.  I will go ahead and remove those since they are no longer accessible.

I apologize for the confusion.  In my opinion the IPTC went a little hog-wild with this Artwork or Object field.  Even Photoshop CC 2017 still only shows the original 6 sub-fields of Artwork or Object.

--dennis

Offline fotopan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 03:49:11 PM »
Well, I understand that popups for all 17 columns are not feasible however please reconsider the idea to remove IPTC Lists for these fields altogether. It is pretty frustrating to add "Physical description", "Source" or "Creator" manually again and again!

Please consider two solutions, alternatively:
  • Keep IPTC Lists for all 17 columns and let user choose which of the columns he wants to have accesible by popups. I think for most of the users 6-8 popus would be enough.
  • Keep 6 "default" IPTC Lists and keep the popups for these lists.

Personally I'd prefer the first solution as I am not sure the columns I use are the "default" or most popular ones (I use Title, Creator, Date Created or Circa Date Created, Source, Physical Description).
--
Pawel