Author Topic: Automating Adjust Capture Dates and Times tool?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline JDeCamp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Automating Adjust Capture Dates and Times tool?
« on: March 02, 2017, 06:09:42 AM »
Is there a way to automatically change the creation times of the images with the Adjust Capture Dates and Times tool by using a filename or other variable?
I am scanning a ton of old slides with a Nikon CoolScan 4000 and would like to image creation time to match the actual time of the image taken i.e. June 14, 1984. 
I can certainly go thru one by one and change the creation times, and I know I can batch a group of them to the same time, but was wondering if there was some automated tool for it to speed things up since most of the images are not taken on the same day.
Ideally I would like to be able to take a variable from the filename and apply it.  i.e.: filename of 19840614Jenni-81, pull the eight digit date and then modify the creation time.  I don't necessarily care about the time of day the image was taken (Im not that picky  :-), I would be happy with a noon default or something like it.
This way I can use the {iptcdow}, {iptcmonthname} {iptcday}, {iptcyear4} variables correctly in the caption and other fields.

THANKS!
Jim
Jim@JamesDeCamp.com

PhotoMechanic v 5 build 18040 (9e75cf5)
Mac OSX 10.11.6
Mac Pro 8 core 3Ghz

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Automating Adjust Capture Dates and Times tool?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 07:54:32 AM »
Jim,

Is there a way to automatically change the creation times of the images with the Adjust Capture Dates and Times tool by using a filename or other variable?
I am scanning a ton of old slides with a Nikon CoolScan 4000 and would like to image creation time to match the actual time of the image taken i.e. June 14, 1984. 
I can certainly go thru one by one and change the creation times, and I know I can batch a group of them to the same time, but was wondering if there was some automated tool for it to speed things up since most of the images are not taken on the same day.
Ideally I would like to be able to take a variable from the filename and apply it.  i.e.: filename of 19840614Jenni-81, pull the eight digit date and then modify the creation time.  I don't necessarily care about the time of day the image was taken (Im not that picky  :-), I would be happy with a noon default or something like it.
This way I can use the {iptcdow}, {iptcmonthname} {iptcday}, {iptcyear4} variables correctly in the caption and other fields.

No, there is no way to automate the Adjust Capture Dates and Times dialog.  If you have some scripting skills, you could use ExifTool to set the capture date in bulk from the Terminal application.

-Kirk