Author Topic: Teething Troubles  (Read 11764 times)

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
    • Colin Port Images Motorsport Photography
Teething Troubles
« on: March 07, 2017, 11:10:58 AM »
Hi,

Still new to PM, I am a Motorsport Photographer & used it for the first time at the weekend.

If anyone can help with these it would be great.

1. When viewing/culling photos in full screen & not zoomed in any way, the photos look a bit strange, when i tick zoom at its lowest option the photos become clear, the problem with that is when i want to crop because i can't see the full photo, if you get what i mean. What do i need to do ?

2. I set up IPTC before the event, my website is with Smugmug and i leave the image numbers on when i upload so people can use them as reference numbers. If i put a caption in IPTC the photo number from the camera is replaced by this, apparently if you put a caption on Smugmug this happens. I can get around that by changing the file numbers on ingest with PM. This brings me to problem #3

3. I wanted to caption all the photos with something like 'All photos can be found at www.colinportimages.co.uk'
but it was putting this text in twice (without a gap) on upload to my site !

These are only teething problems but i need to sort them out for next tim if anyone can help ?

Thanks in advance

Col

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Teething Troubles
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 11:45:11 AM »
Hi Col,

1. Can you post an example of what you mean? If you are running on a computer with a HiDPI screen (e.g. a Mac Book with a Retina screen), make sure you have Preferences|Preview|High DPI Display Quality set to "Best"

3. Looks like you are applying the IPTC stationary again when uploading to SmugMug. Check your upload settings and make sure that you do not apply the stationary pad again. Or, if you do, make sure you have e.g. set the replace option, and not the append option for the caption (or untick the checkmark of the caption field altogether).

Hope this helps :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 12:08:39 PM »
Thanks for your reply Hayo,

Yes I'm new to Mac too, Macbook Pro Retina, the photos unzoomed looked as if they were too hi-res if that makes sense but normal zoomed ! I have set it to best now in the options :)

I upload straight to the website from Lightroom so what option do i need to stop it duplicating the caption ?

Col

Offline Dan Minto

• Newcomer
  • Always striving to create better images
    • View Profile
    • Dan Minto Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 03:10:19 AM »
Hello Colin,

Sorry to jump in here, I was making this mistake some time ago. When you have the option to Save As, there is a box with 'Apply IPTC stationery'; if this is ticked, the IPTC data will be repeated when exporting or saving. I've added a screenshot to show you. I was ticking this box and it confused me for a while.

Just untick this box and you should be fine.

Regards,

Dan
Some Canon cameras and lenses, just don't tell the Wife which ones....

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 03:26:07 AM »
Hi Dan, thanks for the reply.

So in simple terms, when i have set up the IPTC before an event, that will go onto all photos as i Ingest yea ? What should i set Caption to on Ingest, replace or what ?

I don't send them straight to LR from there, i have empty folders on my desktop for each class & i drag all the good ones into them from PM. Lightroom then imports all the folders for each class. Somewhere in between this the IPTC is getting duplicated i think, maybe as i drag the good photos from PM into the empty folders on my Desktop maybe ? I don't use 'Save As',  I then upload to my website from Lightroom.

It's probably something simple but I don't really know what :)

Col
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:27:58 AM by stoner27 »

Offline Cloughie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 04:32:02 AM »
setting the caption info on ingest will add the info you have added on ingest. You can then add extra info to each image separately or select all go to station pad from the menu bar amend or add any new info and press apply to selected images.

Hope that helps.

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 04:40:10 AM »
Thanks Cloughie, not sure if i am coming across right but the problem i have is when i upload to my website it is putting the caption on twice, even though i have it wrote out just once on the IPTC, like i say something simple but I'm not sure how to cure it.

So basically i want something like 'All galleries can be viewed at www.colinportimages.co.uk' so this will be under each photo, so it's there when i post to social media, when i have tried this it puts the caption on twice !

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 06:38:17 AM »
I'm still pretty sure you are applying the stationary pad twice. So please double check you Ingest and Save As settings and make sure only one has a check mark for applying the IPTC stationary.

Also, can you post a screenshot of your IPTC stationary pad?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 06:45:22 AM »
I will post a screenshot up later, it's on my Macbook at home. I don't use 'Save As' i just drag them into folders i have on my laptop, i then import to Lightroom & upload to the website from there, somewhere in between i need to uncheck the IPTC but don't know where !

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 08:21:59 AM »
I also wanted to add that you can add something like this to your caption so that people can still reference the photo by it's original number:

Original file: {filenamebase}

With some cameras you can also use {frame}  to get the frame number.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/Image_Variables
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 08:44:29 AM »
Thanks Mick, like i said i use the original file numbers as reference but when you put a cation in Smugmug take the file number out, what do i need to put in to keep the file number & a caption ?

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »
I am suggesting use an Image Variable to put the original file number IN the caption.    If you use the variable {filenamebase} somewhere in the caption field, Photo Mechanic will automatically insert the filename (without extension) into the caption.  Give it a try.

-Mick
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 11:49:01 AM by MickO »
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 10:05:38 AM »
I am suggesting use an Image Cariable to put the original file number IN the caption.    If you use the variable {filenamebase} somewhere in the caption field, Photo Mechanic will automatically insert the filename (without extension) into the caption.  Give it a try.

-Mick

That's exactly what i need Mick, does it put the exact file name from the camera e.g. IMG_1234 ? If so i just put {filenamebase} into the caption anywhere yea ?

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 11:53:18 AM »
Sure, and you have options. If the filename is IMG_1234.jpg ...

{filename} would insert  IMG_1234.jpg
{filenamebase}  would insert  IMG_1234
{filenamebase:-4} would insert 1234

-Mick

Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »
I think I've got that now Mick, here is a screenshot of IPTC with the caption i want to apply, in the 2nd screenshot it shows that it worked exactly how i wanted it to. To do this i uploaded the photo directly form PM & it worked great, the problem now is when i sent them through Lightroom then used the Lightroom Smugmug uploader there was no Caption ! What did i do wrong in Lightroom ?