Author Topic: What long should ingesting take?  (Read 3831 times)

Offline rugfoot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
What long should ingesting take?
« on: March 06, 2017, 09:30:36 AM »
I'm trialling Photo Mechanic and I just ingested 1,700 images (around 90% JPEG and 10% RAW) to start playing around with it. It took about 1 hour. Is that normal? I know people say the browsing of images is a lot faster than LR but this ingesting seems a lot slower.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: What long should ingesting take?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 11:00:03 AM »
I'm trialling Photo Mechanic and I just ingested 1,700 images (around 90% JPEG and 10% RAW) to start playing around with it. It took about 1 hour. Is that normal? I know people say the browsing of images is a lot faster than LR but this ingesting seems a lot slower.

The speed of Ingest should be similar to copying the images from the card with the OS.

What kind of card are you using?  What card reader are you using?
Try copying your images via your OS (Finder on macOS, or Windows Explorer on Windows).  PM should only be slightly slower than that speed.

-Kirk

Offline rugfoot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 11:32:33 AM »
Thanks Kirk. I've tried with other ingests and it has been a lot quicker. I think I underestimated how many images were on the original card and it was slow simply because there were a lot of images.

Rich

Offline JonHob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 11:24:53 PM »
I found a huge difference when ingesting depending on what card format/speed you use, what reader and what interface it uses. USB 3.0 is balistic where as USB 2.0 is super slow.