Author Topic: IPTC templates problem  (Read 6626 times)

Offline rugfoot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC templates problem
« on: March 07, 2017, 11:34:36 AM »
I'm trying to create new IPTC templates by making changes to an existing template and then saving with a new name. But the changes are being applied to the original templates aswell as creating a new template. I must be doing something wrong? Any help would be gratefully received.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC templates problem
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 12:39:45 PM »
I'm trying to create new IPTC templates by making changes to an existing template and then saving with a new name. But the changes are being applied to the original templates aswell as creating a new template. I must be doing something wrong? Any help would be gratefully received.

So when you load previous templates, nothing changes to the contents of the IPTC fields?

-Kirk

Offline rugfoot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 06:37:14 AM »
Thanks for replying Kirk. No - the opposite: what was happening was that previous templates were changing when I didn't want them to. But I just tried again and it worked fine. I must have been doing something wrong.

But here's a new but related problem: if I change a template, then go to close stationery, it asks me if I want to save the changes, but if I re-load the same template, the changes haven't been saved. How do you edit an existing template without changing the name? (I"m going to post this as a new question aswell).

Thanks for your help with this.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 06:40:29 AM »
How do you edit an existing template without changing the name?

Simply save the template under the exact same name, that will update it with the new content of the stationary pad :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline rugfoot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 09:21:24 AM »
Thanks for getting back Kirk. So why is it asking me to save changes (which don't get saved, or do they somewhere?)? So instead of closing, I hit Save... and I have to remember what the name of the template is so I can save it with the same name. This sounds a bit workaroundy?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 11:47:09 AM »
Thanks for getting back Kirk. So why is it asking me to save changes (which don't get saved, or do they somewhere?)? So instead of closing, I hit Save... and I have to remember what the name of the template is so I can save it with the same name. This sounds a bit workaroundy?

When you let the IPTC Stationery Pad save its changes (sounds like you cancelled out of the dialog by closing the window instead of clicking 'Close Stationery'), they're saved to the global IPTC Stationery Pad settings which are available in every part of PM.

Unless you really need different sets of IPTC Stationery Pad settings, simply click the 'Close Stationery' button and the next time you open it up, you should see your settings.  No need to choose filenames.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline rugfoot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 08:04:52 AM »
Thanks for getting back to me Hayo. So "Save..." then I have to remember what the template is called (the name isn't shown anywhere) and manually type in the name (and make sure I get it exactly right). Sounds like that process could be better designed. But if that's the way to do it for the moment, thanks, I now know!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 08:54:22 AM »
Thanks for getting back to me Hayo. So "Save..." then I have to remember what the template is called (the name isn't shown anywhere) and manually type in the name (and make sure I get it exactly right). Sounds like that process could be better designed. But if that's the way to do it for the moment, thanks, I now know!

Did you see my last post?  To recap: unless you need several IPTC Stationery Pad settings, simply click on the "Close Stationery" button and your settings will be saved and when you reopen the IPTC Stationery Pad they'll be restored.  It doesn't get any simpler than this.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 09:34:59 AM »

Did you see my last post?  To recap: unless you need several IPTC Stationery Pad settings, simply click on the "Close Stationery" button and your settings will be saved and when you reopen the IPTC Stationery Pad they'll be restored.  It doesn't get any simpler than this.

Also, instead of retyping the name, simply select it from the dropdown in the save dialog :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline rugfoot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 11:39:57 AM »
Thanks Hayo. When I click "Close stationery pad" my changes don't save to the template. Yes, when I re-open Stationery pad, the changes are there. But if I load up the template after using a different template for example, they're not. I can only make changes to a template by using the "Save..." option and putting in the same template name. Unless I'm doing something wrong, which is quite possible.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 01:59:40 PM »
Thanks Hayo. When I click "Close stationery pad" my changes don't save to the template. Yes, when I re-open Stationery pad, the changes are there. But if I load up the template after using a different template for example, they're not. I can only make changes to a template by using the "Save..." option and putting in the same template name. Unless I'm doing something wrong, which is quite possible.

If you're switching between templates a lot then I suggest using the snapshots feature (the Lightning bolt button) since it is a much quicker way to load and save.  You'll find the button in the bottom left corner of most of the dialogs in PM.

HTH,

-Kirk