Author Topic: How to sync metadata on selected photos?  (Read 4727 times)

Offline rugfoot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How to sync metadata on selected photos?
« on: March 10, 2017, 08:11:16 AM »
If I've applied a IPTC template to a set of photos but then I want to change some of that date on just a few photos in that set, how do I do it? I'm a Lightroom user and you choose the photos you want and hit "sync metadata". Is there some other way in PM?

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to sync metadata on selected photos?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 08:55:55 AM »
If I've applied a IPTC template to a set of photos but then I want to change some of that date on just a few photos in that set, how do I do it? I'm a Lightroom user and you choose the photos you want and hit "sync metadata". Is there some other way in PM?

You would use the IPTC Info dialog (click on the 'i' button that appears when your mouse cursor is over one of the photos) and make the individual changes there.

-Kirk

Offline rugfoot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 11:29:32 AM »
Thanks for getting back to me again Kirk.

So if I wanted to make the same change to the IPTC data of three photos, I would have to make the same change three times over? Is there no way of making the change once and then applying it to all three photos? (You can do this in LR).

Rich

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 01:58:09 PM »
Rich,

Thanks for getting back to me again Kirk.

So if I wanted to make the same change to the IPTC data of three photos, I would have to make the same change three times over? Is there no way of making the change once and then applying it to all three photos? (You can do this in LR).

You can copy/paste from one photo to another in the IPTC Info dialog (that would still require multiple steps).  Or from the contextual menu (right click on a thumb that has the IPTC data you want to copy) and choose 'Take' from the IPTC Snapshot submenu, then select your destination photos and right click on the selected set and choose 'Paste' from the IPTC Snapshot submenu.

Neither way is particularly fast, but both ways keep you from having to enter the same data (and perhaps causing a mistake to occur) more than once.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline rugfoot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 02:44:47 AM »
Sorry Kirk I didn't get back to you on this. Copy and paste works perfectly! I didn't realise it was there. Thanks so much for helping out.

Rich

Offline Graham1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 03:44:18 AM »
One thing I find very useful in Lightroom is that if you select more than one image, any keywords not in all of them are marked with an asterisk.  You can then delete the keyword if you don't want it in any of the images, or delete the asterisk if you want it in all the images.  I find this a really helpful way of syncing keywords, or removing mistakes.  I don't think there is any way of replicating this type of behaviour in Photo Mechanic, but if similar functionality were possible, this would be great.

Graham