Author Topic: Notes for photos  (Read 3360 times)

Offline PJ

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Notes for photos
« on: March 13, 2017, 09:37:54 PM »
Kirk,

Any chance you could add a field in the stationery pad that would allow some notes to be inserted. For example, someone shooting a news event may want to have some background in the notes field to help in writing captions. Maybe a field like "special instructions" but that wouldn't actually be transmitted with the photo (?). Not sure if it's do-able but it's something that I think would be helpful.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Notes for photos
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 09:01:25 AM »
Any chance you could add a field in the stationery pad that would allow some notes to be inserted. For example, someone shooting a news event may want to have some background in the notes field to help in writing captions. Maybe a field like "special instructions" but that wouldn't actually be transmitted with the photo (?). Not sure if it's do-able but it's something that I think would be helpful.

All metadata is stored either in the photos or in an XMP sidecar file (that is transmitted with the photos) so how would this work?

You can currently use Special Instructions and when transmitting, apply an IPTC Stationery Pad that clears the Special Instructions field.  (You could use any field that you otherwise don't use for this purpose.)

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Re: Notes for photos
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 11:02:11 AM »
I have a similar need for a note type area and have increased the Caption size to 15 lines so that I can copy and paste online results or other digital info to the area below the automatically ingested basic caption.

An example is attached of the space that is available using 15 lines. I had previously used 18 lines but it was unnecessary. This is the basic variable that is used for ingesting:

{city:UC}, {cnty:UC}, {mnn:UC} {day}:        during the {objt} at the {loc} on {imnn} {iday}, {iyr4} in {city}, {cnty}. (Photo by David Finch/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** ;

And this is the result before the caption is finished:

DUSSELDORF, GERMANY, FEBRUARY 25:       during the 2017 Dusseldorf Grand Prix (24-26 February) at the Mitsubishi Electric Halle on February 25, 2017 in Dusseldorf, Germany. (Photo by David Finch/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** ;

The space is particularly valuable when I need to put the full four medallists into the caption. Obviously, the info once used is deleted to finish the caption. It definitely makes life easier and quicker to have those few extra lines.
David
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:04:45 AM by judophotos »