Author Topic: Photo Mechanic dissapears from Dock in MacOS Sierra  (Read 7140 times)

Offline Roy44

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic dissapears from Dock in MacOS Sierra
« on: February 16, 2017, 01:54:27 AM »
Hi,

Since I've installed a complete clean installation of MacOS Sierra 10.12.3 Photo Mechanic build 18040 keeps on disappearing from my Dock.
Every time I put it in there, the next time I reboot my mac, I see a question mark which says Photo Mechanic if I put my mouse pointer above it, but it doesn't open when I click it.

Any suggestions?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic dissapears from Dock in MacOS Sierra
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 07:48:26 AM »
Hi,

Since I've installed a complete clean installation of MacOS Sierra 10.12.3 Photo Mechanic build 18040 keeps on disappearing from my Dock.
Every time I put it in there, the next time I reboot my mac, I see a question mark which says Photo Mechanic if I put my mouse pointer above it, but it doesn't open when I click it.

Any suggestions?

No.  It appears to be a bug in macOS Sierra.  PM does not communicate with the Dock to remove itself or to attempt to keep itself in the Dock.  PM doesn't even "know" it is in the Dock.

Here is a thread where this problem was investigated and discussed in great detail:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=10708.0

Hopefully Apple will fix the problem before they release yet another macOS with more bugs in it.

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:30:30 PM »
No such problem for me; two Mac with sierra 10.12.3 after clean install
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 07:02:01 AM »
No such problem for me; two Mac with sierra 10.12.3 after clean install

Yes, this problem happens for some people and not at all for the majority of macOS Sierra users.  We have been unable to reproduce the problem on our end.

-Kirk

Offline willievass

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 05:18:13 PM »
On MacOS Sierra I get Photo Mechanic running without a dot indicator beneath the icon showing it is an active application in the dock.

Offline Roy44

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 10:37:00 AM »
Thank you all for your replies. Let's hope Apple will fix this issue. Strange that it isn't the same problem for everybody. I also did a clean install, but this was the result. Photo mechanic isn't the only program which gives me problems. Unfortunately, the problems I got with my Adobe CS5 are way bigger, and they just don't support it anymore. But I got the feeling that also with Adobe, not everybody is experiencing these problems, so it might be either a hardware issue, or something that is more or less apple  ID related. Can it also be that the issue can also be caused by other installed programs, even when they are not running? Some kind of conflict?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 11:45:17 AM »
Thank you all for your replies. Let's hope Apple will fix this issue. Strange that it isn't the same problem for everybody. I also did a clean install, but this was the result. Photo mechanic isn't the only program which gives me problems. Unfortunately, the problems I got with my Adobe CS5 are way bigger, and they just don't support it anymore. But I got the feeling that also with Adobe, not everybody is experiencing these problems, so it might be either a hardware issue, or something that is more or less apple  ID related. Can it also be that the issue can also be caused by other installed programs, even when they are not running? Some kind of conflict?

It's hard to know but most apps on macOS don't have installers that modify how the system works.

-Kirk

Offline guang

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
possible fix Re: Photo Mechanic dissapears from Dock in MacOS Sierra
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 01:09:45 AM »
I have had this problem too, this last month ever since a series of clean Sierra installs on a new 2016 Macbook Pro.  PM Dock icon not working or being replaced by a question mark.

Additionally, when I opened PM, Little Snitch would ask if I want to allow outgoing connections.  I said yes, any port, forever.  But then later it would ask me again the next time I launched.  It turns out over the last few weeks Little Snitch has churned out a dozen different rules allowing the exact same PM access.  All became instantly invalid, all say something like:

The application "/private/var/folders/ms/qg8fm99c8xj4ng0059bf9nk00000gn/T/AppTranslocation/02854262-93D0-4F48-8F57-EF4B3178AB85/d/Photo Mechanic 5.app" doesn't exist anymore

The application "/private/var/folders/ms/qg8fm99c8xj4ng0059bf9nk00000gn/T/AppTranslocation/D37E0D14-9D83-43DA-B6D1-0AE6EB042816/d/Photo Mechanic 5.app" doesn't exist anymore

etc etc

Frankly, this is the first time ive ever heard of "app translocation," but Google says there are other apps similarly affected by this new system security feature in Sierra.   The problem is that Sierra considers it un-safe to initially open a new app from a .dmg, the Downloads folder, a DVD, another computer (probly what I did) -- anything except for dragging the app directly into the Applications folder and launching from there.   So I dragged a fresh copy of the Photo Mechanic 5.app over from the original .dmg and started it from the Applications folder.  And so far so good - the PM icon now remains in the dock, totally functional, even after a computer restart.  WOOFHOO.   

The above fix is more thorough, but a quick workaround that I also tried was to nest the PM app inside another folder, any name, inside the Applications folder.  Same positive results.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 07:19:16 AM »
Thanks!  That sounds like a possible solution for others experiencing this problem.

-Kirk

Offline Roy44

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 10:11:12 AM »
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. That worked for me too! Thanks for sharing it!