Author Topic: GoPro raw files  (Read 4874 times)

Offline lejma69

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
GoPro raw files
« on: March 19, 2017, 10:39:29 AM »
Hi
Running PM 5 on a MacBookPro with MacOS Sierra.
I can't see the raw files in Photo Mechanic from my GoPro Hero5 black. No problems in Camera Raw.

Suggestions to solve this?

Sincerely
Magnus Lejhall

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: GoPro raw files
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 10:26:15 PM »
Magnus,

Running PM 5 on a MacBookPro with MacOS Sierra.
I can't see the raw files in Photo Mechanic from my GoPro Hero5 black. No problems in Camera Raw.

We have no sample files for that device.  We have no solution for you at this time but we would appreciate receiving a sample file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline lejma69

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 10:58:50 PM »
Dear Kirk
attached in this message you find one GoPro raw file. I guess that is what you mean with sample file.

Thanks
Magnus

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 06:47:11 PM »
Magnus,

We don't have support for the GPR RAW format from GoPro.  It appears to be yet another TIFF-based RAW file.  I parsed through the file but found no embedded thumbnail nor JPEG preview, so even if we added support for this format we wouldn't be able to show you anything since we do not render RAW.

My suggestion is to convert to DNG then PM should let you browse those files.  Just make sure you configure DNG Converter Preferences to embed a full resolution preview.  Note: when I did this for your sample file, I noticed that the DNG was mirrored horizontally.  Is this a setting in the camera?  If so, then even if you convert to DNG then PM will not "un-mirror" the image so it will be backwards left-to-right.  I'll see if we can resolve this issue.

Is there an option in the GoPro to generate a JPEG preview with their GPR format?  That would be the way to go.  Then we may be able to support this camera natively without having to do a DNG conversion.

Regards,

--dennis

Offline lejma69

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 06:57:43 AM »
Thanks Dennis

I am not so technically familiar with the camera yet. There are one jpg file and one raw file, is that what you mean? Bridge do support and give me a preview. Does it use the jpg file next, with the same file namne?

/M