Author Topic: Making Video Files over 4gb visible in PM  (Read 3474 times)

Offline tmronin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Making Video Files over 4gb visible in PM
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:19:01 PM »
Hi there! 

I use PM every day for stills but am shooting more and more video lately - most of my files are under 4gb but sometimes they go over (60fps ProRes HQ) and they don't even show up in PM.  This is a bit annoying because I use PM for 99.99% of my image/work file needs (renaming, sorting, culling, etc) and not having files show up in list view makes that impossible.

Thanks!
steve

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Making Video Files over 4gb visible in PM
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 07:44:42 AM »
Steve,

I use PM every day for stills but am shooting more and more video lately - most of my files are under 4gb but sometimes they go over (60fps ProRes HQ) and they don't even show up in PM.  This is a bit annoying because I use PM for 99.99% of my image/work file needs (renaming, sorting, culling, etc) and not having files show up in list view makes that impossible.

PM6 is in development and we've made it a 64-bit application.  It can now handle file sizes over 4 GB in size.  We can't easily back port that effort to PM5 however.

-Kirk

Offline tmronin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 07:51:08 AM »
no worries! as long as it's on the roadmap, I'm good.  Thanks Kirk!

Offline the_pedro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 10:19:56 AM »
I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed yet.

It is a hassle to use another program to deal with these files and I don't trust Photo Mechanic to ingest video anymore.

I'm looking forward to PM6!

Offline tmronin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 10:26:17 AM »
well, Hedge for Mac is really awesome for video file ingestion (if you use mac)...but it isn't cheap.  Then i use the Mac OS "rename files" command but this is a kludge and not the way I want my workflow to work.  So...yeah, bring on PM6.

I'm gonna stick with Hedge for my video file transfer needs (its designed for DIT work and has built-in checksum and error checking for large video files) but I use PM for all my file manipulation tasks and would love to keep my workflow in place.