Author Topic: RAF file compatability  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Stibbar

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
RAF file compatability
« on: March 22, 2017, 09:18:58 PM »
Hi everybody. Thanks for letting me join the forum. I'm very pleased to be here and looking forward to getting know everybody and soak up as much knowledge as I can. The reason that I joined is that somebody recently recommended that I try Photomechanic as an alternative for Lightroom (which I have been using for the past few years on an amateur level) and just wanted to ask a few questions before giving it a go. I should point out that I am an amateur, not a pro, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I was just wondering how Photomechanic deals with Fuji RAF files, as I have had some problems with Lightroom in the past when trying to process images from my XE-2. I was considering offering my used camera for sale on http://www.for-sale.ie/ and switching to Nikon or Canon to solve this problem. But if Photomechanic is indeed compatible, then it would be a lot cheaper for me to invest $150 in alternative software than $1000 in a new camera and lens system.  Thanks in advance for any advice offered. Apologies again for my ignorance.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 10:13:28 PM by Stibbar »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: RAF file compatability
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 08:47:53 AM »
Hi everybody. Thanks for letting me join the forum. I'm very pleased to be here and looking forward to getting know everybody and soak up as much knowledge as I can. The reason that I joined is that somebody recently recommended that I try Photomechanic as an alternative for Lightroom (which I have been using for the past few years on an amateur level) and just wanted to ask a few questions before giving it a go. I should point out that I am an amateur, not a pro, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I was just wondering how Photomechanic deals with Fuji RAF files, as I have had some problems with Lightroom in the past when trying to process images from my XE-2. I was considering offering my used camera for sale and switching to Nikon or Canon to solve this problem. But if Photomechanic is indeed compatible, then it would be a lot cheaper for me to invest $150 in alternative software than $1000 in a new camera and lens system.  Thanks in advance for any advice offered. Apologies again for my ignorance.

PM is not a RAW converter so the best that PM is going to do is show you the preview embedded within the RAF files.

You can demo PM free for 30 days.  Try it and see if it meets your needs.  If you have something like Photoshop, you can use its RAW processing plugin (Adobe Camera RAW) to do your RAW adjustments.  PM can use Photoshop to perform edits (basically send photos to Photoshop for editing).

HTH,

-Kirk