Author Topic: Rename multiple files  (Read 3769 times)

Offline srichart4

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Rename multiple files
« on: March 30, 2017, 07:09:16 AM »
I'm trying to rename multiple TIF files.  I loaded the old file  name sccbka001.TIF, for example, in the Description/Caption field.  I'm using the Description/Caption field only for convenience it doesn't matter for the end result. I changed the "sccbka" to "StvCoCommMin" without problems.  Then I selected all, Rename files, entered  {captionwriter} in the rename block.  The sample front and back file names look good.  I just don't get an option to click on OK.  If I only do one file it works without problem.  There are six folders with about 3000 files total so I don't want to do this manually.

I just upgraded to build 18327.  I'm using a Windows 10 Home laptop.

Thanks for the help. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Rename multiple files
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 08:50:41 AM »
I'm trying to rename multiple TIF files.  I loaded the old file  name sccbka001.TIF, for example, in the Description/Caption field.  I'm using the Description/Caption field only for convenience it doesn't matter for the end result. I changed the "sccbka" to "StvCoCommMin" without problems.  Then I selected all, Rename files, entered  {captionwriter} in the rename block.  The sample front and back file names look good.  I just don't get an option to click on OK.  If I only do one file it works without problem.  There are six folders with about 3000 files total so I don't want to do this manually.

{captionwriter} is not the variable for the Description/Caption field, {caption} is.

If your filenames are similarly named, you can use the Find/Replace to rename files.  http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Find_and_Replace

Or if your files have a consistent suffix or prefix, you can use the Rename dialog with Variable Substring Extraction to patch up your filenames.  http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Variable_Substring_Extraction

If you give me a larger sample of different filenames, I can likely suggest a more efficient solution than manually entering data into the IPTC info of each file and then using that metadata to rename your files.

-Kirk

Offline srichart4

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Rename multiple files
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 02:49:50 PM »
Kirk,
I got the variable off of the website so clearly made a mistake.   I'll give it a try with the correct variable name.  The whole process is a long story but getting the StvCoCommMin part in the name will greatly reduce errors.

Thanks,

Sue