Author Topic: Importing IPTC from PS file browser  (Read 4831 times)

Offline Hhill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Importing IPTC from PS file browser
« on: March 09, 2007, 06:56:47 AM »
I've just started using PM in demo. 

I'm impressed with the interface and workflow so far but wish to know if I can import my existing metatag templates from Photoshop's File Browser into Stationary Pad for future use as I expect to add pictures to assorted projects over time. 

I could always just append the IPTC once in PS of course but I'm just finding how my workflow can improve by loading it all at the very beginning.

Thanks.

Offline Hhill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Importing IPTC from PS file browser
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 06:59:03 AM »
.. I forgot to add I'm on a Mac with 10.4.8 and currently using PS CS.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 09:12:03 AM »
I've just started using PM in demo. 

I'm impressed with the interface and workflow so far but wish to know if I can import my existing metatag templates from Photoshop's File Browser into Stationary Pad for future use as I expect to add pictures to assorted projects over time. 

I could always just append the IPTC once in PS of course but I'm just finding how my workflow can improve by loading it all at the very beginning.

We don't have the ability to import their templates and I admit that I am not at all familiar with them so I am not sure if the following will be helpful:

You can put IPTC data into an image in Photoshop and then open the folder containing that image in PM and then bring up the photo's IPTC Info (click on the 'i' button) when your mouse is over the photo.  Then you can save the IPTC data as either a snapshot (click on the lightning bolt button and save) or you can save it as an IPT or XMP file and load that into the IPTC Stationery Pad.  Or even quicker, when in the IPTC Info dialog, hold down the Option key and click on the Copy to Stationery button.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Hhill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 09:47:46 AM »
That sounds a solution and I'll try that.  I'm not sure the way to go however.  I may do my meta through the File Browser with existing material and use Stationary when I'm ingesting new files.

Thank you Kirk.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 10:33:11 AM »
That sounds a solution and I'll try that.  I'm not sure the way to go however.  I may do my meta through the File Browser with existing material and use Stationary when I'm ingesting new files.

Generally people get their captioning job done in several passes from the most general information applied with the IPTC Stationery Pad, to the most specific via the IPTC Info dialog.  In case you haven't seen it, check out the manual for 4.4 here.

-Kirk

Offline Hhill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 10:43:22 AM »
I was wondering where the manual was in the demo version. 

I'll go through that too, thanks again.