Author Topic: How to remove Metadata so that it stays removed  (Read 3938 times)

Offline sfreund

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How to remove Metadata so that it stays removed
« on: April 03, 2017, 12:29:03 AM »
I'm running PM 5 on a Macbook Air, OSX 10.10.5.

For a recent project I needed to repurpose my images for a different venue and wanted to rename them and remove all the captions, tags, headlines, descriptions, etc. I renamed them in the IPCT form/page, removed all the captions and identifiers. But when I uploaded the renamed images to Flickr (images were renamed to show only a 4-digit file number), the original long filename and and all the deleted headlines, descriptions, etc. were all still there. I tried a few times to no avail. I can't even find a place in the IPCT form where the original name resides to remove it (in addition to renaming it).

I then took the same files into Lightroom and from its Metadata window I was able to remove the "Title" which is a separate category from the filename -- something I don't't see in PM. I also was able to delete the captions, tags, and headlines from there.

Why couldn't I do this in PM? I wasted so much time resetting everything, only to have all of it pop back up again. I know I'm going to come across this issue again. Please let me know that this is doable and how to do it.

Thanks,
sfreund

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to remove Metadata so that it stays removed
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 11:29:15 AM »
I'm running PM 5 on a Macbook Air, OSX 10.10.5.

For a recent project I needed to repurpose my images for a different venue and wanted to rename them and remove all the captions, tags, headlines, descriptions, etc. I renamed them in the IPCT form/page, removed all the captions and identifiers. But when I uploaded the renamed images to Flickr (images were renamed to show only a 4-digit file number), the original long filename and and all the deleted headlines, descriptions, etc. were all still there. I tried a few times to no avail. I can't even find a place in the IPCT form where the original name resides to remove it (in addition to renaming it).

I then took the same files into Lightroom and from its Metadata window I was able to remove the "Title" which is a separate category from the filename -- something I don't't see in PM. I also was able to delete the captions, tags, and headlines from there.

Why couldn't I do this in PM? I wasted so much time resetting everything, only to have all of it pop back up again. I know I'm going to come across this issue again. Please let me know that this is doable and how to do it.

Does your uploader template settings apply an IPTC Stationery Pad?  If so, it will modify the metadata during the upload.

Otherwise, please post a sample image that has the metadata removed and I'll look into it to see if any of it remains.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file(s).

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: How to remove Metadata so that it stays removed
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 08:48:10 AM »
Additionally,

I was able to remove the "Title" which is a separate category from the filename -- something I don't't see in PM.

What Lightroom uses for the "Title" field is the IPTC Field "Title/Object Name" which is in Photo Mechanic as "Object Name"

Edit:

You can change this label in Photo Mechanic if you like by going to Preferences (⌘-,) then Accessibility and click on Customize IPTC Info or Stationery Pad.   You can rename the Field Label by double-clicking on it. You can even reorder the fields so that Title/Object Name is near to your other commonly used fields.

-Mick

-Mick
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 09:02:22 AM by MickO »
Mick O
Camera Bits