Author Topic: Cropping in PM  (Read 4638 times)

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
    • Colin Port Images Motorsport Photography
Cropping in PM
« on: April 03, 2017, 06:41:45 AM »
Hi,

I like to view photos zoomed to the first notch (50 i think) the problem is because you can't see the full image how do people crop while they are culling ?

Col

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Cropping in PM
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 10:27:32 AM »
I like to view photos zoomed to the first notch (50 i think) the problem is because you can't see the full image how do people crop while they are culling ?

Unless you need pixel accurate cropping, I'd pop out of zoom mode ('z' toggles) then do your cropping.

If you need to be at 100% or higher, you can crop in that mode too, but you won't be able to see the entire cropped area (unless it is really small).  You can pan around while cropping by holding down the space bar key (the mouse cursor will change to a 'hand' cursor which will allow you to drag the image.)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 11:29:29 AM »
Thanks Kirk,

I am zooming to 1/2 because a few slipped to the net when i uploaded to my website, i can't see the full photo then obviously so was just wondering what other people do, i was talking to someone who said they cull at 1/2 zoom then go back through them un zoomed to crop, not sure if that is the way to go !

Col

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 12:07:24 PM »
Col,

I am zooming to 1/2 because a few slipped to the net when i uploaded to my website, i can't see the full photo then obviously so was just wondering what other people do, i was talking to someone who said they cull at 1/2 zoom then go back through them un zoomed to crop, not sure if that is the way to go !

That is what I suggest for ease of cropping.

-Kirk

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 12:23:16 PM »
Ok thanks Kirk,

Just one more thing, i usually crop to 'original' ratio, is there a way i can do that in PM ?

Col

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 01:20:15 PM »
Col,

Just one more thing, i usually crop to 'original' ratio, is there a way i can do that in PM ?

You can make custom constrained crops, yes.  Create one for the ratio of your camera's photos.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Crop_Tool

"Crop Shape The crop area can be constrained in proportion. The numbers refer to proportions rather than units, i.e. a 3:2 proportion will keep the crop the same shape as a 35mm format image."

HTH,

-Kirk