Author Topic: Color class showing as white in Lightroom  (Read 6468 times)

Offline Jetjaxon5

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Color class showing as white in Lightroom
« on: April 05, 2017, 09:20:55 PM »
Hi,
I'm using PhotoMechanic 5 on an Intel Mac 10.10.5. I was recently using color classes in Photo Mechanic but all of the colors I used only showed up as White in Lightroom 6. I've tried changing every setting I can think of in both programs but have had no luck. Also curious if Photo Mechanic integrates well with Capture One. I can't get any star ratings or color classes to show up in Capture One 9. Thanks for your help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Color class showing as white in Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 09:36:14 PM »
I'm using PhotoMechanic 5 on an Intel Mac 10.10.5. I was recently using color classes in Photo Mechanic but all of the colors I used only showed up as White in Lightroom 6. I've tried changing every setting I can think of in both programs but have had no luck.

The key thing is to make the label names in both programs exactly the same, including the case (upper and lower) of each letter.

Also curious if Photo Mechanic integrates well with Capture One. I can't get any star ratings or color classes to show up in Capture One 9. Thanks for your help.

I don't know, sorry.  Someone else on the forums may be able to answer.

-Kirk

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 10:11:20 AM »
...I can't get any star ratings or color classes to show up in Capture One 9.

I do get color labels and star ratings across both ways, but Capture One settings differ for DNGs and NEFs.

What kind of raw files do you process in Capture One?
--
Odd S.

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 12:41:13 PM »
  If you are still having problems with Photo Mechanic's color labels showing up correctly in Lightroom, then check out my video covering the preference setup for both PM and LR at the following link :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC3M1TgAW1M          PM5 to LR5 Mac

regards,

--Bob

Offline Jetjaxon5

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 07:05:46 AM »
...I can't get any star ratings or color classes to show up in Capture One 9.

I do get color labels and star ratings across both ways, but Capture One settings differ for DNGs and NEFs.

What kind of raw files do you process in Capture One?

Thanks for your reply. I'm working with CR2 files. Thanks!

Offline Jetjaxon5

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 07:53:05 AM »
  If you are still having problems with Photo Mechanic's color labels showing up correctly in Lightroom, then check out my video covering the preference setup for both PM and LR at the following link :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC3M1TgAW1M          PM5 to LR5 Mac

regards,

--Bob

Got it working now in Lightroom. Thank you! Is there any way to embed the star ratings and color classes in the file itself or does it always have to be embedded in an accompanying sidecar XMP file?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 08:40:12 AM »
Got it working now in Lightroom. Thank you! Is there any way to embed the star ratings and color classes in the file itself or does it always have to be embedded in an accompanying sidecar XMP file?

Yes, you can force PM to embed XMP metadata into RAW files, but Adobe products won't update the embedded XMP and will continue to create XMP sidecar files anyway.  So I don't suggest embedding XMP into RAW files if you also use Adobe products.

-Kirk

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 08:42:11 AM »
I'm working with CR2 files.

I think PM can use the same settings as for Lightroom with respect to where to write and read color label and star rating information, essentially you make use of XMP sidecar file. DNG is different because C1 exchanges metadata embedded in the raw (DNG) file. I attach 4 screenshots from my Windows PC with settings that work for me. I use C1 exclusively in Session mode, no C1 Catalog for me.
Note the C1 preferences for Metadata where Auto Sync sidecar XMP is set to None and the two prefer-xmp checkboxes are checked. Since Auto Sync is set off, I must trigger metadata exhange manually using the three-dot-menu in C1, Reload if I want C1 to read metadata from PM, Sync if I want C1 to write metadata for PM to pick up. I rarely do the last version, I stick to PM for working with metadata.

Hope this helps and that my screenshots make it through the wires.
--
Odd S.

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 09:51:45 AM »
I have made a short video showing how to setup Photo Mechanic 5 so its star ratings and first 7 color labels will be recognized by C1 Pro v10. The attached PMX file is for Importing this snap shot menu entry into Photo Mechanic's general preferences. It will also set the IPTC/XMP preferences for an XMP only workflow. Tiff base raw photos will use an XMP sidecar file for all updates. Here is the link to the video :

http://docs.camerabits.com/documentation/photo-mechanic-color-labels-in-capture-one-pro/

--Bob

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 10:28:36 AM »
For your LR 6 color label problem, have you checked the Metadata Presets in Lightroom's Metadata menu?  You might have the box checked for the color labels with a blank field. This will erase any color label from the images during the Import process. 

--Bob