Author Topic: Exporting to "same folder" from LR  (Read 3342 times)

Offline rugfoot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Exporting to "same folder" from LR
« on: April 19, 2017, 02:48:44 AM »
After transferring photos to LR for editing when I try to export back to the same folder, the photos go into various different folders dictated by when the photos were taken (and with a different date format (2017-04-17 instead of 20170417). I realise I can specify the folder I want and that this is probably really a LR issue, but does anyone know what I need to do to make the photos go neatly back to the folder where I was originally working in PM? Thanks!

Rich

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Exporting to "same folder" from LR
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 08:13:36 AM »
After transferring photos to LR for editing when I try to export back to the same folder, the photos go into various different folders dictated by when the photos were taken (and with a different date format (2017-04-17 instead of 20170417). I realise I can specify the folder I want and that this is probably really a LR issue, but does anyone know what I need to do to make the photos go neatly back to the folder where I was originally working in PM? Thanks!

What is your workflow?  Unless you're using copy/move, Ingest, or Save as, your photos should be edited in place (tag, rating, color class, cropping, rotation, etc. do not cause a photo to be moved in any way.)

-Kirk

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 02:22:11 PM »
After transferring photos to LR for editing  [...]  does anyone know what I need to do to make the photos go neatly back to the folder where I was originally working in PM? Thanks!

When you transfer photos to LR for editing, do you select "ADD" instead of "MOVE" in the LR Import window? This will add the photos to Lightroom's catalog without moving them to new folders. That would be my first suggestion.  Note that your Lightroom edits won't be visible in PM until you update the metadata in Lightroom.

Another thing you can do is, when you export photos from Lightroom, there is an option to open them in another application after the export. (Way way down at the bottom of the scrolling Export dialog) If you choose Photo Mechanic, then PM will open a contact sheet for the newly-exported photos no matter where they are. It can be pretty handy in some circumstances.

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline rugfoot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 02:47:43 AM »
Thanks Mick and Kirk. Yes, when I was importing to LR I was using "Copy" instead of "Add", which, you're right, works perfectly when I export back to PM. Thanks!

Rich