Author Topic: Straighten without having to drag the crop window  (Read 6607 times)

Offline Lourenco_photography

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Straighten without having to drag the crop window
« on: April 21, 2017, 05:46:38 AM »
When a picture needs to be straightened (withougt any additional crop), one needs to drag the crop tool, maximize it as much as possible and then straighten.
I suggest: having the crop tool selected in preview mode, while on the outside of the image to be automatically in straighten mode. If one drags (perpendicularly to the image) then it would apply the crop to the whole frame and star rotating it.

This saves a few clicks to apply the crop on the whole image.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Straighten without having to drag the crop window
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 08:18:50 AM »
When a picture needs to be straightened (withougt any additional crop), one needs to drag the crop tool, maximize it as much as possible and then straighten.
I suggest: having the crop tool selected in preview mode, while on the outside of the image to be automatically in straighten mode. If one drags (perpendicularly to the image) then it would apply the crop to the whole frame and star rotating it.

This saves a few clicks to apply the crop on the whole image.

You can't have a full frame and rotate it.  The crop rectangle will have to decrease in size otherwise pixels outside the image would have to be added to the final image.  You would end up with black triangles making up the difference.

It would be possible to have the crop start out as full frame and as you rotate the crop it would decrease in size to deal with the bounds of the source image.  But that's as good as it can get without 'inventing' pixel data.

-Kirk

Offline toptog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 05:42:04 AM »
Photomechanic needs updating.

The strighten and zoom functions are too cumbersome and slow.

All Camera Bits have to do is go and copy the system for strightening and cropping that Picasa 3 (free software) uses, it is far more efficient, simple and quicker than PM.

PM also needs a simple slider bar to raise shadow detail. These are much needed facilities that PM do not seem to recognise at all.

:-[

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 06:21:03 AM »
Photomechanic needs updating.

The strighten and zoom functions are too cumbersome and slow.

All Camera Bits have to do is go and copy the system for strightening and cropping that Picasa 3 (free software) uses, it is far more efficient, simple and quicker than PM.

PM also needs a simple slider bar to raise shadow detail. These are much needed facilities that PM do not seem to recognise at all.

:-[

PhotoMechanic is NOT an image editor, so you will not find features like raising shadow detail in it. Keeping editing functionality out of PM is one of the reasons it's so fast. And (amongst others) speed is one of the reasons we use PM, heck even people that already have a do-it-all tool like Lightroom prefer to use PM for what it's good at: quickly browsing and selecting images and editing their metadata.

Personally I very much prefer PM to stay this way. My editing (and cropping) I will do elsewhere.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Linwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 09:35:12 AM »
I'm also delighted that PM is not an editor, but the crop/straighten function (along with metadata and culling) are among critical functions that I use all the time.

Crop is by far the least sophisticated. Helping it would not take much, and nothing that would require slowing it down.  I like the OP's request, as I frequently am looking to just straighten (which is what is being asked).

Other aspects I've prefer seeing:

A "Select cropped" option.  I try to tag all photos, then crop all tagged.  Sometimes I screw up and untag by mistake.  Being able to double check any images cropped and make sure all are tagged would be really helpful.  There's almost every other "select xxx" option, like rotated, why not cropped?

Finer grid to more easily find a vertical item in the right places.

I think when, on a photo, I select a new crop aspect from the saved values, the current crop should change RIGHT THEN, and not have me have to pretty precisely click a corner.  I just don't get it -- doing it in prep for the next photo seems the theme, but who does that before switching to the next photo?

A key to do a crop preview - show (just) the crop, straightened, full screen (or whatever you have on the screen).

Except for the latter these, and the OP's request, really are not bloat or likely to slow anything down.  But the crop function is pretty unsophisticated now, and yet very central to PM for many of us.

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 10:12:53 AM »

It would be possible to have the crop start out as full frame and as you rotate the crop it would decrease in size to deal with the bounds of the source image.  But that's as good as it can get without 'inventing' pixel data.

-Kirk

This would be great!!!
Marc
Marc

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 06:49:08 AM »
...Personally I very much prefer PM to stay this way. My editing (and cropping) I will do elsewhere.

I second that.

Thom Hogan's fairly recent articles about Ingest Software and workflow may serve as inspiration for improvements other than yet one more image editor, see: http://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/software-for-nikon-dslrs/software-products/ingest-software.html and http://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/software-for-nikon-dslrs/software-articles/what-thom-uses.html
--
Odd S.