Author Topic: Ingest only images with exif created date  (Read 3956 times)

Offline tdiaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingest only images with exif created date
« on: April 22, 2017, 04:52:33 PM »
Any suggestions on ingesting only "proper" files?

Using PM for ingesting photos from various volumes, but I don't want all the JPEGs it finds, just something that is actually a photo based on that it has an exif created date/date shot, and skip the rest.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest only images with exif created date
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 05:51:58 PM »
Any suggestions on ingesting only "proper" files?

Using PM for ingesting photos from various volumes, but I don't want all the JPEGs it finds, just something that is actually a photo based on that it has an exif created date/date shot, and skip the rest.

I'd suggest browsing your images, and use a Custom Sort, select the photos in the range you desire, then use the Copy/Move dialog to copy them.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#Sorting
http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#Copying_and_Moving_Photos

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline tdiaz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Ingest only images with exif created date
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 06:41:49 PM »
Thats where I was looking but ran into where it appears that if there is no actual exif date in the file, the field would reflect the file date.

What I was hoping was to find images where this is missing as that would imply they're not from a camera/scanner/whatever, at least in that particular form.

This way directories where there's all kinds of images dumped in..  media from others, archives, grabs from web pages, screen shots, etc. where there are non-camera / scanner sourced images..  That these can be eliminated in a particular library, by not ingesting them in the first place.

As best I can come up with is arranging them by {model} since that would pretty much eliminate something that isn't native from a device that writes metadata in the file. Of course, if there are images grabbed from web pages or such that have complete metadata, those would be imported. Thats fine.

I'm trying to keep a particular library with nothing but images where the date shot is actually embedded. This way when arranging by date/timestamp, the outcome is going to be pretty close to 100%.

All these applications/utilities that do image sorting seem to resort to the filesystem date/timestamps if there is no exif data, Photo Mechanic included.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 06:46:27 PM by tdiaz »