Author Topic: Move away from Lightroom?  (Read 3667 times)

Offline robok

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Move away from Lightroom?
« on: April 26, 2017, 10:46:03 AM »
Has anyone here moved from PM + LR to PM + something else? and if so, what did you move to and what was the experience. Maybe CaptureOne or Luminar.

Currently I under-use PM for tagging and other file management, instead doing that in LR. I am a light tag user anyway. I use LR as RAW developer and i use Collections a lot. I don't know if there is an obvious LR Collections replacement in PM.

But I am finding Lightroom is slowing me down a lot.  Another plus of LR is LR Mobile which has gotten much better. I am intrigued by Adobe's push to web-based editing (I forget what they call it).

Any insights are welcome,

Rob.

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Move away from Lightroom?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 09:23:02 AM »
I had high hopes for Luminar, but there are a few things about it that make it hard to work with PM.  One big issue for me is that if you are looking at a Raw file in PM, and you open it up in Luminar, when you go to save the Jpeg, it has no concept of the original folder, the Save dialog opens up defaulted to the Documents folder.  For some people (lots of people?) this might be no big deal, but for me it is important to be able to keep my files in the folders I have set up.  I have mentioned this to them and maybe it will be something they add in the future.  It is a version 1 program after all, so I guess I still have high hopes... for the future. :-)   
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Linwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Move away from Lightroom?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 09:25:31 AM »
I'd love to change, but the workflow aspects of Lightroom just seem to have no competition.  Between cataloging publishing it does so very much that none of the others do well.