Author Topic: Keywords From PM To Lightroom  (Read 15048 times)

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
    • Colin Port Images Motorsport Photography
Keywords From PM To Lightroom
« on: May 03, 2017, 06:24:50 AM »
Hi,

Still a bit new to PM, this is how i do it.

I don't Ingest, i open a contact sheet & cull photos from the card straight out of the camera. I then 'Save As' the good ones to an empty folder on my desktop.

I have IPTC set up before an event with a Headline and keywords Etc. I then edit the photos in Lightroom.

The keywords don't show on Lightroom so when i upload to my website on Smugmug there are no keywords for the event !

What did i do wrong ?

Col

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Keywords From PM To Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 09:29:43 AM »
Do you check the box to "Apply IPTC stationery" when you use the "Save As"  dialog?

(Note, by using "Save As," you're applying an extra JPEG compression to your files before you edit them in Lightroom. When you export them from Lightroom, you're doing another JPEG compression, and this can really affect image quality.  I would highly suggest using Move or Copy off of the memory card instead of Save As for this workflow -- and checking the box for "Apply IPTC stationery to copied files" there instead.

-Mick

Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 10:35:44 AM »
Thanks Mick,

Yea i will drag them out of PM from now on. Just tried it with one photo, It's definately not putting the keywords on, maybe It's a setting in Lightroom on Import ?

Col

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 11:50:03 AM »
Thanks Mick,

Yea i will drag them out of PM from now on. Just tried it with one photo, It's definately not putting the keywords on, maybe It's a setting in Lightroom on Import ?

If you're editing on the card, be aware that PM by default does not write to camera cards.  You can enable writing on the card (which we don't recommend) by going into Preferences->Files and setting the "Allow modification of files on Camera Disks ( not recommended ! )".  Then PM will modify your files.

We suggest instead that you use PM's Ingest feature to download your images from your card, and edit on your hard drive, then import into Lightroom.  That way you have a backup of your data (until you format the card).

-Kirk

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 12:09:59 PM »
Thanks Kirk,

I Import the photos from a folder on my desktop into Lightroom, It's just not adding the keywords. I started to use Ingest but the copy of the photos off the camera included all the bad photos before culling so i now cull, check untagged (the good ones) then drag them into the folder on the desktop, i then Import that to Lightroom, if i can get the keywords onto them from PM to Lightroom I will be happy.

I dragged one photo out of PM earlier and checked the metadata, the keywords were there, i imported it to LR & they had gone !

Col

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 01:49:55 PM »
If you don't want to Ingest, then I would really suggest using the "Move/Copy" function (Command-y on macOS)  and applying IPTC stationery during that process.  Dragging photos out of a Contact Sheet directly from your memory card will not do anything to apply the metadata. 

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 01:52:06 PM »
I dragged one photo out of PM earlier and checked the metadata, the keywords were there

How, specifically, did you check the metadata?
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 02:02:31 PM »
I checked the i on the photo in PM to make sure the Stationary was all there, which it was. Dragged the photo to my desktop on MacBook, checked the file info and the keywords were on it. Imported to LR then there was no keywords, all the other Stationary Pad stuff was there !

Col

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »
I checked the i on the photo in PM to make sure the Stationary was all there, which it was. Dragged the photo to my desktop on MacBook, checked the file info and the keywords were on it. Imported to LR then there was no keywords, all the other Stationary Pad stuff was there !

Please post a sample image (or provide a download link) including any XMP sidecar files.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your files.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 02:35:57 PM »
This photo shows keywords when i look in "Get Info' on my Macbook, but they don't show in LR. If I'm honest I don't know what a Sidecar file type thing is  :-[

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 03:55:44 PM »
FWIW I've just imported the photo above into LR and the keywords and IPTC info are present.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 04:24:53 PM »
Perhaps the two of you could compare settings?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 03:25:20 AM »
That's all i want Tony  :)

Where it shows the Keyword Tags on yours, that is always blank on my LR. I'm sure It's only something silly, when you imported that to LR is that how the IPTC went in ? You didn't have to extract Metadata or anything ?

I will Ingest from now on, that will put the IPTC on all the photos from the start & It looks like It's a setting in LR that's not right for the keywords.

Col

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 04:42:30 AM »
If you imported the files into Lightroom before adding the keywords, you'll need to instruct Lightroom to update the metadata for file (right click the file or folder and choose the update metadata option).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 04:48:57 AM »
The keywords are in the IPTC in PM, i just thought they would import to LR automatically ?