Author Topic: XT2 RAW  (Read 16228 times)

Offline Tim S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: XT2 RAW
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2017, 10:42:21 AM »
Just to let you know, Photo Mate R3 ratings show in (my) Photo Mechanic no problem.  It's going to make my workflow on the go a whole lot easier, but although it's a better program, it's not as quick at rating as RawVision.  Can't wait for the day when Photo Mechanic for Android is launched  ;)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 10:51:58 AM »
Your settings look perfect.  Do you have read permission on the XMP sidecar files?
Thanks Kirk, the sidecar files from RawVision are exactly as the file I sent you, the atttributes aren't set to read only, see screen shot.  If it was something like that, any read permissions aren't a problem in LightRoom, but are in PM, could this be because LR is changing the permissions during import and PM isn't?

Read-only wouldn't prevent you from reading a file, instead it would prevent you from writing to a file.

I'm kind of stumped here.  I am able to get my PM5 to read and pickup the rating from your sample XMP file so I don't know why yours wouldn't be able to do the same.

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 11:32:57 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Tim S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2017, 03:06:24 AM »
Thanks Kirk, see attached.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2017, 11:34:28 AM »
Tim,

Thanks Kirk, see attached.

This is likely the culprit:

[Fri May-12-2017 10:02:30.528][00002cd0][0141156] IPTC_XMP_Utils.cpp:1471 Unexpected exception in IPTC_XMP_Utils::LoadXMPMetadata()

I'll have to work with you Monday to find out why an exception is occurring.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 10:05:04 AM »
Tim,

I've done some more local investigation and have found that the XMP data that you provided is malformed.  The application that wrote that data is using a sort of "shotgun" approach to writing XMP fields, choosing to represent the same data (rating) in multiple ways unnecessarily.  Also the use of the class="com.caketuzz.xmp.RatingDescription" is something that may be legal but is unusual for XMP.  I don't think the developer is actually using Adobe's XMP library to produce the XMP data.

It also produces XMP that is far more verbose than it needs to be.  It redefines XMP namespaces repeatedly.  Very odd metadata.

-Kirk

Offline Tim S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 03:06:57 AM »
Hi Kirk

Sorry for my delayed reply, I was away from the office all last week.  I'm very grateful that you looked into this for me and I always thought this software was a bit 'clunky', but when I started using it it was the only one available that fulfilled my need and it worked OK (with the exception of this issue).  Other Android software is now available and I think I'm close to finding an alternative.  Photomate 3 seems to be the best option, but the latest version crashes quite a bit.  Their customer support is excellent, so I'm fairly confident I'll find a solution soon.

Thanks again for your help with this.

Tim