Author Topic: PM to LR back to PM  (Read 3897 times)

Offline DrBobke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM to LR back to PM
« on: May 16, 2017, 07:22:18 AM »
Hi All,

I have been using PM for a couple of months now and it has proven to be a real time saver! I love it and use it every time.

However, I have a bit of an issue.  The way I go about culling images, is to ingest them with PM, select 1 and 3 * images, everything without any star, I will delete (out of focus, doubles, etc).  Now, from a wedding I shot past weekend, I had 5320 pictures (which would have taken 3 years to get through in LR).  I still left doubles in, and some nice photos that were a little overexposed, but I wanted to check in LR wether or not I could get them right, so I imported them into LR, and have some presets running, I worked on the other images too to get them 'back'.

I then went into PM again, to cull some more, as I wanted to go through some extra doubles, etc.  (I set everything to 0 stars and went through them again to get to 1 star/3 stars).  I then wanted to get this data into Lightroom again, so I could delete the "0 stars".  By doing that, I noticed also all my edits were going away (luckily mainly only import presets and only a couple of changed images).

Is there a way to get LR to only register the stars from PM, and to not overwrite the edits made?  I have searched this forum, but only really found: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=10521.msg51615#msg51615 and I also watched a bunch of video's on Youtube, but no luck in finding an answer.

Maybe I'm doing things in a backwards way, but it would be great if this could work! :)

Best regards,

DrBobke

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
Re: PM to LR back to PM
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 08:13:53 AM »
I used to think if you did the LR update while in Library mode it would not update edits and if you updated in Develop mode it would...
But it doesnt always work that way and its really depressing when you lose all your edits...Hoping for clarity...
Marc
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 09:08:51 AM »
I then went into PM again, to cull some more, as I wanted to go through some extra doubles, etc.  (I set everything to 0 stars and went through them again to get to 1 star/3 stars).  I then wanted to get this data into Lightroom again, so I could delete the "0 stars".  By doing that, I noticed also all my edits were going away (luckily mainly only import presets and only a couple of changed images).

Is there a way to get LR to only register the stars from PM, and to not overwrite the edits made?  I have searched this forum, but only really found: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=10521.msg51615#msg51615 and I also watched a bunch of video's on Youtube, but no luck in finding an answer.

Maybe I'm doing things in a backwards way, but it would be great if this could work! :)

Do you know for certain that the XMP sidecar files have the edits you made in LR prior to PM modifying them?  If the data isn't there, then PM isn't overwriting it.  PM should preserve all edits (or any other settings it doesn't directly edit.)

If the XMP sidecar files do not contain the LR edits then when you reload them into LR I suspect that the edits could be lost.

Take PM out of the equation.  Do whatever you do to prepare the files to edit with PM, then make LR reload them (without having touched them with PM) and check to see if your edits were lost.

If the edits aren't lost then please post an XMP sidecar file and I'll change the star rating with PM and compare the files before and after to see if PM is omitting the LR edits.

-Kirk

Offline DrBobke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 12:45:58 AM »
I think this issue is solved...  When watching the Youtube videos, I noticed a change having to be made in LR.

I am translating it here from Dutch, so the naming might be a little off..

Go to EDIT --> Catalog preferences and then go to the third tab, "Metadata".  Tick the box for "Automatically save changes to XMP files".
After having done that, going back into PM, it seems it remembered.  However, I did notice it "forgot" the GPX file (Chart waypoints) and the changed clock settings (I was using 2 camera bodies, which were off by 2 min 16 seconds).  I always keep them synced up otherwise, but they are off after some time - Canon 5D iii and 5D iv.

Thanks a lot for all the help!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 09:15:50 AM »
I think this issue is solved...  When watching the Youtube videos, I noticed a change having to be made in LR.

I am translating it here from Dutch, so the naming might be a little off..

Go to EDIT --> Catalog preferences and then go to the third tab, "Metadata".  Tick the box for "Automatically save changes to XMP files".
After having done that, going back into PM, it seems it remembered.  However, I did notice it "forgot" the GPX file (Chart waypoints) and the changed clock settings (I was using 2 camera bodies, which were off by 2 min 16 seconds).  I always keep them synced up otherwise, but they are off after some time - Canon 5D iii and 5D iv.

Thanks a lot for all the help!

What 'forgot the GPX file'?  I don't understand.

-Kirk