Author Topic: Complex verify after CD / DVD burning  (Read 7526 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Complex verify after CD / DVD burning
« on: March 13, 2007, 07:43:49 PM »
CD / DVD burning verification was mentioned earlier, but maybe it would be the best to put a checksum on the disk during the burn. So all data on the disk could be verified later on to check if it is useable or not. I allways put such an MD5 verification file onto my disks since an important one had gone wrong. Of course it doesn't help much, but at least you may know what you lost and maybe it helps to find another backup and copy it in time.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Complex verify after CD / DVD burning
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 07:50:26 PM »
CD / DVD burning verification was mentioned earlier, but maybe it would be the best to put a checksum on the disk during the burn. So all data on the disk could be verified later on to check if it is useable or not. I allways put such an MD5 verification file onto my disks since an important one had gone wrong. Of course it doesn't help much, but at least you may know what you lost and maybe it helps to find another backup and copy it in time.

You compute an MD5 of each of the files?  Or of the disk image?

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 04:48:48 AM »
After gathering all data to be burned I make an MD5 for the entire disk and place it in the CD/DVD root so each disk can be easily checked just running the MD5 file at any time.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 07:03:59 AM »
After gathering all data to be burned I make an MD5 for the entire disk and place it in the CD/DVD root so each disk can be easily checked just running the MD5 file at any time.

You still didn't really answer my question.  Do you MD5 each individual file and then make a text file listing each and every filename/path and its individual MD5 checksum?

In any rate, I don't want to add a feature if it will double the time it takes to archive one's files, though I suppose it could be an option.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 11:14:35 AM »
Sorry I wasn't precise enough!
With "I make an MD5 for the entire disk and place it in the CD/DVD root" I meant I only make 1 MD5 file that contains all files selected to be burned to the disk. I think making a separate MD5 for every file would be uncompaired extra work not worth (but of course it would be much safer if there is a disk error. So for my use there is only 1 MD5 file with the checksums of all the files to be burned. Maybe a backup of the same file would increase safety but I never had any problem with this system yet.
Allways shooting RAW.