Author Topic: Save as/Export Presets with icons  (Read 8329 times)

Offline JonHob

• View Profile
Save as/Export Presets with icons
« on: May 29, 2017, 09:53:40 AM »
Please, could you add the option to add preset Save as/Exports presets and add shortcut icons to the Customisable Toolbar like the Upload button like you have with FTP? Assuming it cannot already be done?

This would be a massive help speed up sending images to clients etc..

Thanks Jon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Save as/Export Presets with icons
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 08:41:49 PM »
Jon,

Please, could you add the option to add preset Save as/Exports presets and add shortcut icons to the Customisable Toolbar like the Upload button like you have with FTP? Assuming it cannot already be done?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying?

-Kirk

Offline JonHob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 11:15:04 PM »
Hi Kirk

What I'm asking is if you can add shortcuts to Save as or, Exports as I call them, so it's possible to quickly send batches of images out. I guess you could look at these like Export presets in Lightroom.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 09:09:06 AM »
Hi Kirk

What I'm asking is if you can add shortcuts to Save as or, Exports as I call them, so it's possible to quickly send batches of images out. I guess you could look at these like Export presets in Lightroom.

Clicking on a toolbar button is preferable to pressing Command-S ?

The problem with adding custom toolbar buttons is that an icon has to be created and made available in the toolbar so that it can be customized.

-Kirk

Offline JonHob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 11:24:07 PM »
Hi Kirk

In short, yes. Clicking Comand - S then choosing the required image size required and dpi etc. is much slower that clicking a button/icon to a preset.

As I have said, sending images to a number of clients or, folders for various uses in various sizes, would be as easy as a click.

One of Lightroom's best features has to be its Export presets, this is a massive time saver. Making PM allow shortcuts to Save As presets would vastly increase workflow.

Allowing buttons/icons to be renamed would be great too.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 12:04:50 AM by JonHob »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 08:06:34 AM »
Hi Kirk

In short, yes. Clicking Comand - S then choosing the required image size required and dpi etc. is much slower that clicking a button/icon to a preset.

As I have said, sending images to a number of clients or, folders for various uses in various sizes, would be as easy as a click.

One of Lightroom's best features has to be its Export presets, this is a massive time saver. Making PM allow shortcuts to Save As presets would vastly increase workflow.

Allowing buttons/icons to be renamed would be great too.

Are you not using snapshots in the Save As dialog?  They can restore a complete set of dialog settings with a click or two.  The snapshot button is generally in the lower left hand corner of most dialogs and has a lightning bolt on it.  You can have as many snapshots as you like.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#Snapshots

-Kirk
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:08:15 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline JonHob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 01:25:34 PM »
Hi Kirk

Thanks again for your reply.

Absolutely! I have the snapshots. I've been calling then presets sorry.

Just having the option to create short cuts to the tool bar would mean increasing Photo Mechanics workflow. Obviously, Upload is mainly a FTP export. How good would it be to have The ability to have other options?

Jon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 06:43:58 PM »
Hi Kirk

Thanks again for your reply.

Absolutely! I have the snapshots. I've been calling then presets sorry.

Just having the option to create short cuts to the tool bar would mean increasing Photo Mechanics workflow. Obviously, Upload is mainly a FTP export. How good would it be to have The ability to have other options?

But clicking on the Upload icon in the toolbar simply brings up the Uploader dialog and you'd still have to choose a snapshot.  Adding a Save As icon would still simply bring up the Save As dialog and you'd have to choose a snapshot.  That doesn't seem like a great leap in workflow.

I'd rather have a "Jobs Pane" that is a hierarchical list of each feature that has snapshots that when expanded listed the snapshots.  When you double-clicked on a snapshot it would act on the selected photos.

That seems like a much bigger increase in productivity, doesn't require any new artwork or toolbar customization.

-Kirk

Offline JonHob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 12:23:00 PM »
Hi Kirk

I hope my original post made sense?

I've attached a photo that I knocked up on Ps showing what I think would be a great idea for PM.

In my line of work, I shoot football which I upload using the FTP (as I'm sure every other photographer does?) and I indeed have a Snapshot created for this. It's great because it does what it says it'll do.

For my motorsport, I supply images to a newspaper via their Dropbox folder, an on-line website who require images at 1200px into their Dropbox folder as well as needing images for Social Media again, in a Dropbox folder at a specific size. I may also be requested to supply images to teams or drivers etc.. Again, at an another size. I know I could make a snapshot for each of my required sizes and locations, but it's not a fast way of working. I know I could just do all this in Lightroom and I actually have an Export preset (each with a keyboard shortcut). I'm trying to keep my workflow quick and easy and would prefer not to use Lightroom because it's very slow compared to using Camera Raw.

I don't know or any other software available where export presets can easily be set up? My idea of taking advantage of Photo mechanic's  'Save as' function (which does 90% of a Lightroom preset can do), combined with a way of activating the function, will help speed up the workflow. By scrolling through edited or colour coded photos, you can easily send them off to the relevant folders at a click of an icon. 

I'm actually surprised there's no way of doing this at the moment.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 01:07:09 PM »
Jon,

I hope my original post made sense?

Well, no and that's why I responded asking for clarification.

I've attached a photo that I knocked up on Ps showing what I think would be a great idea for PM.

In my line of work, I shoot football which I upload using the FTP (as I'm sure every other photographer does?) and I indeed have a Snapshot created for this. It's great because it does what it says it'll do.

But all that button does bring up a dialog that you would have to interact with (and load a snapshot/connection settings) anyway.

For my motorsport, I supply images to a newspaper via their Dropbox folder, an on-line website who require images at 1200px into their Dropbox folder as well as needing images for Social Media again, in a Dropbox folder at a specific size. I may also be requested to supply images to teams or drivers etc.. Again, at an another size. I know I could make a snapshot for each of my required sizes and locations, but it's not a fast way of working. I know I could just do all this in Lightroom and I actually have an Export preset (each with a keyboard shortcut). I'm trying to keep my workflow quick and easy and would prefer not to use Lightroom because it's very slow compared to using Camera Raw.

I don't know or any other software available where export presets can easily be set up? My idea of taking advantage of Photo mechanic's  'Save as' function (which does 90% of a Lightroom preset can do), combined with a way of activating the function, will help speed up the workflow. By scrolling through edited or colour coded photos, you can easily send them off to the relevant folders at a click of an icon. 

And what I suggested was a different method (that doesn't require customizable toolbars with special icons) that basically does the same thing.

I think we're on the same page here, just different presentation (toolbar vs. snapshot tree).

Thanks for the feature request.

-Kirk

Offline JonHob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 02:07:06 PM »
Hi Kirk

I've just found a way to use a keyboard shortcut to trigger the snapshots and it works fine so I will test but I think it'll do the job.

Thanks