Author Topic: Can't ingest anymore  (Read 3155 times)

Offline thinkmedia

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can't ingest anymore
« on: June 05, 2017, 08:42:21 AM »
Hi,

New PM owner/user.

PM was working great and I was able to ingest from memory cards to an external drive without any problems.
Then a few days ago it stopped working and I am no longer able to ingest images.
I can via LR but not PM.
Pretty frustrating!

LOG is attached.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can't ingest anymore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 08:57:10 AM »
PM was working great and I was able to ingest from memory cards to an external drive without any problems.
Then a few days ago it stopped working and I am no longer able to ingest images.

Thanks for the log file.  I see numerous errors in your log.  I see that you're trying to (at least on one day) work with extremely large images (22050 by 5704 which takes 479 MB for each image) and PM can't load them because it runs out of memory when it attempts to load them.  You may have set your Memory Cache in PM to the max.  I suggest setting it down to 256MB.

As for the Ingests, PM is failing to create folders like "/Volumes/RAW 2017/20170605/".  I suggest checking the permissions on the "RAW 2017" drive and make sure that you can create folders/files.

-Kirk

Offline thinkmedia

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 09:49:08 AM »
Hi,

Yes, I was trying to show jpgs of edited files and there were a couple of panos that were huge and PM couldn't process them at all.

I have run disk utitility on my external USB drives and nothing shows up.
All drives are writeable.
As for adjusting permissions, MAC doesn't have that feature anymore - at least not that I can find.

The only thing that changed on my brand new MBP was to use that RAW drive for my time machine backups.
If I recall, it was after I did that for the first time that it killed the ingest/permissions.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mitch

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 10:16:08 AM »
Mitch,

Yes, I was trying to show jpgs of edited files and there were a couple of panos that were huge and PM couldn't process them at all.

I have run disk utitility on my external USB drives and nothing shows up.
All drives are writeable.
As for adjusting permissions, MAC doesn't have that feature anymore - at least not that I can find.

The only thing that changed on my brand new MBP was to use that RAW drive for my time machine backups.
If I recall, it was after I did that for the first time that it killed the ingest/permissions.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888  //  Fax: +1 503.547.2880

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

They'll have a look at your drive and find out why PM can't create folders on it for you.

-Kirk

Offline thinkmedia

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 03:41:46 PM »
It looks like TimeMachine locks the drive and basically takes it over.
I noticed that to manually add a folder, iOS prompted me for my laptop password before I could create the folder.
I turned off TM, backed up my files, formatted the drive, and replaced my files.

Ingest works again.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 03:44:31 PM »
It looks like TimeMachine locks the drive and basically takes it over.
I noticed that to manually add a folder, iOS prompted me for my laptop password before I could create the folder.
I turned off TM, backed up my files, formatted the drive, and replaced my files.

Ingest works again.

I wonder why LR was able to create folders under the same circumstances?  Or had you last used LR to import to that disk prior to using it for TimeMachine backups?

-Kirk

Offline thinkmedia

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 04:31:20 PM »
I'm stumped, but at least I know what it was ...  and it wasn't to do with PM.
I'll be getting another drive for TimeMachine backups!

Thanks!

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 10:37:59 PM »
Hmm, I've always understood you could use the time machine disk for other things too (as long as you stayed out of its dedicated directory). Either that has changed recently, or something else is at play. Still looks like a permissions problem. Right click on the drive and view its info, right at the bottom it should list the permissions (this has nothing to do with the repair permissions you mentioned missing by the way). Otherwise from a Terminal window execute the following command to view the permissions:
Code: [Select]
ls -ld /Volumes/
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl