Author Topic: JP2 files  (Read 3129 times)

Offline nnovod

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
JP2 files
« on: June 11, 2017, 03:30:18 PM »
With the latest version of Photo Mechanic and the latest version of Mac OS jp2 files in a contact sheet are not displayed.  In their place is a big JP2 icon.  Is there a way to get Photo Mechanic to display jp2 files in a contact sheet?

Thank you,
Nathaniel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: JP2 files
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 07:07:11 PM »
Nathaniel,

With the latest version of Photo Mechanic and the latest version of Mac OS jp2 files in a contact sheet are not displayed.  In their place is a big JP2 icon.  Is there a way to get Photo Mechanic to display jp2 files in a contact sheet?

If JP2 files are JPEG 2000 files, PM does not support that file format.

-Kirk

Offline nnovod

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 04:12:21 AM »
Is PhotoMechanic using the native OS libraries for photo viewing?  I assume so since my raw Fujifilm X-Pro photos are displaying without a problem, and I know that's a format not supported by many that is supported by MacOS.  I also think that the native MacOS libraries support JPEG 2000.  If true, would it be easy to add JPEG 2000 support to the MacOS version of PhotoMechanic?

Thank you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 08:45:48 AM »
Is PhotoMechanic using the native OS libraries for photo viewing?  I assume so since my raw Fujifilm X-Pro photos are displaying without a problem, and I know that's a format not supported by many that is supported by MacOS.  I also think that the native MacOS libraries support JPEG 2000.  If true, would it be easy to add JPEG 2000 support to the MacOS version of PhotoMechanic?

No, PM does not use the macOS imaging libraries to load most file types.  JPEG 2000 is just not a format we support at this time on either macOS or Windows.

-Kirk

Offline nnovod

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 11:15:59 AM »
OK - I'll put in a suggestion.  Just curious: Did you do your own support for Fujifilm X-Pro1 raw processing?

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 11:21:42 AM »
OK - I'll put in a suggestion.  Just curious: Did you do your own support for Fujifilm X-Pro1 raw processing?

No.  We extract the JPEG preview from the RAW file and show it for thumbnails and previews.

-Kirk