Author Topic: PM grinding to a halt when I switch between programs  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Thomas Campitelli

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM grinding to a halt when I switch between programs
« on: June 12, 2017, 06:41:21 PM »
Howdy Camera Bits,

I am opening several subfolders with between 1,500 and 3,000 NEF files in them in total. I am then filtering by rating so that I am dealing with 150 to 300 images and tagging them using a code replacement file. PM does fine and chews right through them until I change focus to another program. That could be to look something up on the web, or just match an athlete name with a number in an Excel sheet. Coming back to PM causes the program to become unresponsive for 15 to 60 seconds. During this time, one of my CPU cores registers about 30 to 40% usage. That is it. It is slowing me down quite a bit.

I realize I am pushing PM fairly hard here, but it can zoom through photos and tag just fine. Pop out of PM to a browser, or Excel, or a text editor, and it does not want to wake up again.

Win10, PM 5 Build 18610, Core i7-4790K, 16 GB RAM, SSD drive for OS and programs, photos on NAS running ZFS file system over gigabit network (although I have noted similar behavior locally, too)

Offline Thomas Campitelli

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM grinding to a halt when I switch between programs
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »
I am also getting temporary freezes after applying structured keywords to a group of images. Once the keywords have been applied and I click on a new image, PM has a good think about things. This is happening in the contact sheet view. The other freezes were happening in the single image view, whose name I am butchering, although sometimes in the contact sheet view, too.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM grinding to a halt when I switch between programs
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 07:50:51 AM »
For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888  //  Fax: +1 503.547.2880

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]