Author Topic: "Default" setting for transmitting photos  (Read 6925 times)

Offline Eric

• View Profile
"Default" setting for transmitting photos
« on: June 14, 2017, 09:32:32 AM »
I know that this has been asked in one form or another but I'm going to ask again. I would LOVE to see a way to tick off a check box to set a 'default' method & account for transmitting photos.  Every time I fire up PM uploading defaults to FTP. It would be nice to be able to default to some other method (Photoshelter for example) and to a particular account within that upload method. I've come painfully close to dumping material to a major news wire that would not be amused to have to go in and 'kill' 300 images let alone have those images stream to subscribers before they could be killed.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "Default" setting for transmitting photos
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 10:13:31 AM »
Eric,

I know that this has been asked in one form or another but I'm going to ask again. I would LOVE to see a way to tick off a check box to set a 'default' method & account for transmitting photos.  Every time I fire up PM uploading defaults to FTP. It would be nice to be able to default to some other method (Photoshelter for example) and to a particular account within that upload method. I've come painfully close to dumping material to a major news wire that would not be amused to have to go in and 'kill' 300 images let alone have those images stream to subscribers before they could be killed.

There are two different commands for uploading.  One always brings up the FTP Uploader.  The other brings up what was last used.

If you use the "Upload..." command instead of the "FTP Photos as..." command, and set it to use Photoshelter, then it should always default to using Photoshelter when you use the "Upload..." command.

Does this not suffice?  Do you experience different behavior when you use the "Upload..." command?

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 11:34:13 AM »
I am not aware of multiple ways to upload. In my workflow it has always been ctrl-u to start the upload.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.

Offline tommygrealy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 07:36:14 AM »
Would be nice if "Ctrl+u" / "Cmd+U" were configurable to default to whatever I choose. I understand that ctrl U is the shortcut for "FTP Photos As" but I am so used to using it now that sometimes when I should be pressing ctrl+cmd+u to select an alternative to FTP, I accidentally just do "cmd + u" and hit send before Ive realised my mistake. And as silly as it sounds, its just alot less finger stretchy to do to do cmd+u vs ctrl+cmd+u

Offline tommygrealy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 07:42:25 AM »
Im specifically referring to situations where I have only one hand available to use the keyboard and it's at arms length away from me. :)
Ctrl+cmd+u is a tough one in this scenario  ;)
Would be nice if "Ctrl+u" / "Cmd+U" were configurable to default to whatever I choose. I understand that ctrl U is the shortcut for "FTP Photos As" but I am so used to using it now that sometimes when I should be pressing ctrl+cmd+u to select an alternative to FTP, I accidentally just do "cmd + u" and hit send before Ive realised my mistake. And as silly as it sounds, its just alot less finger stretchy to do to do cmd+u vs ctrl+cmd+u
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 08:06:45 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline tommygrealy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 08:23:02 AM »
If you are used to using cmd+u (as I have been for the last 5 years), and suddenly you now need to use Ctrl + Cmd + U because your primary sending location is now SFTP instead of FTP, then there is certainly the probability that you will at some point upload to an old location by pressing cmd+u and send - as happened to me yesterday. I know some photographers that have just stopped using the PM FTP feature because of this.

I didnt want to do that so I DELETED all of my FTP profiles so that at least there would be no where to send should I accidentally do this again. Now when I presst Cmd+U followed by "Send" - I get "Failed to load settings for current account" which at least stops me making the mistake. An OTT measure which may not be practical for everyone but does avoid the scenario mentioned by Eric in the original post (sending to the wrong place)